XTX50 Regulator

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FoxDavis

Contributor
Reaction score
I am just getting into scuba and I bought a XTX 50. I am really looking forward to diving tomorrow. I am in Kona right now and can't wait...

It was my 50 or the scubapro S600... Is there a huge difference between them?

Thanks

Welcome to scubaBoard mjscuba (Apeks rep). Like Fox Davis, I am new to diving and my first reg was the XTX50. I use it as my primary on a long hose. My question is: is there an adapter/fitting that will allow the Miflex hoses to fit the second stage? or do I have to use the Apeks brand only, no LDS near me carries them. I guess I could order thru them.

Thanks Oh great reg by the way. Breaths well at 110fsw in all positions. No free flow probs (unlike my other reg). The mouth piece could be a little more durable. I bit thru the original after 8 mos of use (50 F temps I bite down to hard i guess).

The difference between a 50 and a 600? 550 of course!
While both are excellent regulators, the biggest difference between the two will be the first stage.
The Apeks uses what we call an over-balanced, diaphragm first stage which provides outstanding performance as well as great resistance to freezing. This regulator will deliver easy breathing as deep as you would like to go.

Tom Phillipp
Product Manager
Aqua Lung / Apeks

Hi tphillipp!

Just quick question.. One of your guys said that It doesn't metter wich 1st+2nd stage you take, you can put it on 99.9% O2
Can you tell me something about that??

Thx!
Seb

is there an adapter/fitting that will allow the Miflex hoses to fit the second stage?

You don't need an adapter - they will fit all Apeks second stages except for the Flight

no real difference in the 2nd stage, but the scubapro uses mostly a piston first stage, which is great but a bear to seal for cold and nasty water... not important for most people.

I wouldn't stock use any first stage with 100% o2... That could be bad, but any of them can be used with 100% if they're cleaned

Hi tphillipp!

Just quick question.. One of your guys said that It doesn't metter wich 1st+2nd stage you take, you can put it on 99.9% O2
Can you tell me something about that??

Thx!
Seb
The issue with high O2 percentages primarily involves the first stage due to the high pressure. All Apeks first stages, except Flight, which are sold in the US, can be used with O2 IF they are properly O2 cleaned. That means that the design and the parts have passed adiabatic compression testing to prove that they can pass the rigors of O2 use.

I specify units sold in the US because Apeks regs shipped to the US are configured for this by using an O2 compatible filter guard in the inlet fitting which covers a bronze conical filter. Regs outside the US are configured with a plastic Porvair filter.

Tom Phillipp
Product Mgr
Aqua Lung

no real difference in the 2nd stage, but the scubapro uses mostly a piston first stage, which is great but a bear to seal for cold and nasty water... not important for most people.

I wouldn't stock use any first stage with 100% o2... That could be bad, but any of them can be used with 100% if they're cleaned

That's not what I'm observing. The difference is quite significant when diving cold water below 40F. S600 is more for for warm water use and is very 'nervous' below 40F. All my XTX50 s have more metal inside including metal fins on the hose connector. XTX50 second compares more to G250V IMHO

Last edited:
Welcome to scubaBoard mjscuba (Apeks rep). Like Fox Davis, I am new to diving and my first reg was the XTX50. I use it as my primary on a long hose. My question is: is there an adapter/fitting that will allow the Miflex hoses to fit the second stage? or do I have to use the Apeks brand only, no LDS near me carries them. I guess I could order thru them.

Thanks Oh great reg by the way. Breaths well at 110fsw in all positions. No free flow probs (unlike my other reg). The mouth piece could be a little more durable. I bit thru the original after 8 mos of use (50 F temps I bite down to hard i guess).

You can use Miflex straight, no adapters needed.

although some people report miflex does not work that well as a long hose

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom