xz-1 and inon s2000

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

coralcruiser

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi

Am getting ready for my first trip using this camera and have some questions for those of you that have used it with an inon strobe.

I've used this strobe with the g-10 on sttl and have always gotten great results. When using it with the g-10, i had the camera's flash set for the lowest output power... shooting in either aperture or custom settings.... but my strobe still gave me the correct exposure based on the preflash reading.

My question is.... does the oly use a preflash when shooting manual and if so, if I have the flash set to a lower power, will my strobe still snych with it to get the correct exposure?

Any other feedback on shooting with this will be greatly appreciated!!

I have the same flash but I am using it with an EPL2 and I know nothing about the g-10. If you are attempting to use the Inon in sTTL mode it is my understanding that the camera needs to be set to force flash and not for lowest output. In sTTL the flash detects the pre-flashes and the flash from the camera's internal flash and then adjusts to provide the proper exposure If you set the flash for lowest output, then the Inon is not really synching with the internal flash as intended. I have done what you have done with the EPL2 but my experience is that the I get underexposed pictures because I am really running the camera in manual and the flash is attempting to work in sTTL. I have looked at a website that indicates the g-10 does not have pre-flashes and shoots in manual mode only without sTTL.

When you talk about shooting in manual I assume that you are setting the camera to manual exposure which obliges you to set the f stop and the shutter speed. The camera's internal flash would then be set to the lowest output power and the camera would not fire any pre-flashes as it would not be using TTL. The Inon would be set at the correct manual power setting and the magnet would need to be inserted into the Inon to prevent it from firing pre-flashes in manual mode. The Inon will flash at the designated power regardless of how powerful the internal flash is set. When shooting in manual it is usually suggested using the lower power setting to reduce heat build up in the housing and to save the battery because the power of the flash output does not effect the power of the Inon flash in manual mode.

I hope that answers your questions.

Not looking to synch with th g-10. Looking for info specific to synching with the xz-1. Was hoping to run camera in manual with low flash to convserve battery and heat whith strobe in sttl getting info off preflash.

Was hoping to run camera in manual with low flash to convserve battery and heat whith strobe in sttl getting info off preflash.
Did You try to check this on land?
Please let us know when You figure out how it works with setting internal flash for lowest power.

Hi

Am getting ready for my first trip using this camera and have some questions for those of you that have used it with an inon strobe.

I've used this strobe with the g-10 on sttl and have always gotten great results. When using it with the g-10, i had the camera's flash set for the lowest output power... shooting in either aperture or custom settings.... but my strobe still gave me the correct exposure based on the preflash reading.

My question is.... does the oly use a preflash when shooting manual and if so, if I have the flash set to a lower power, will my strobe still snych with it to get the correct exposure?

Any other feedback on shooting with this will be greatly appreciated!!

I have this set up except with the Dual D2000 Inons. Nobody here will give you the same answer. I also shoot in Manual mode, on the Camera. I have the Flash in the Camera set on Force Flash. There is no power adjustments after that. I have the strobes set on sTTL It works well in my dark basement. with a Macro lens and shooting stuff. I have yet to dive with it though.. these setting I have gotten only from reading the 100 post on here with the same question and all different answers. I'm sure once I dive with it. None of these setting will be right and I will have to try something different.

I have this set up except with the Dual D2000 Inons. Nobody here will give you the same answer. I also shoot in Manual mode, on the Camera. I have the Flash in the Camera set on Force Flash. There is no power adjustments after that. I have the strobes set on sTTL It works well in my dark basement. with a Macro lens and shooting stuff. I have yet to dive with it though.. these setting I have gotten only from reading the 100 post on here with the same question and all different answers. I'm sure once I dive with it. None of these setting will be right and I will have to try something different.

When I have the camera set to manual, I have all the various flash options available so was planning on setting it to 1/4 or 1/16 power to keep the housing from heating up.

If I set it to force flash, I know that there would be no issue with the strobe getting the correct info from preflahsh. I was hoping that the preflash would still send the correct readings to the internal flash as well as strobe but that the internal flash would ignore it an fire at the lower setting while the strobe fired off at the correct exposure.

Haven't gotten around to putting it in the housing and attaching my strobe to check it out yet... I am known world wide as a procrastinator! :rofl3::rofl3:

---------- Post added ----------

Finally got up the energy to put the camera in the housing and attach the strobe to see who everything worked out.

Good news is that the s2000 (when set to sttl) will synch perfectly with camera in manual mode and flash power set to 1/4 and 1/16.

Only issue I have found has nothing to do with the strobe. It seems that I have to have the housing aimed level with the subject or else I notice a portion of the barrel in the bottom right section of the picture. It doesn't show up in the frame when composing the shot... but does show up in the picture.

Has anyone else had this issue? I like to be able to aim the housing in various positions depending on the subject is....

The manual for your camera, which I have reviewed online, does not indicate whether there are pre-flashses when the camera's flash is set at reduced power. However, when setting the flash intensity manually it does not seem that there would be a reason for pre-flashes which are used to assist in setting flash duration. My experience with the EPL2 suggests that there are no pre-flashes when the flash intensity is set manually.

If you're going to reduce the amount of flash why not use 1/64?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom