Xz-1 Pics

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

anenomefishman

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
we saw some stuff in the galapagos that we had never seen before underwater. here are a few pics from olympus xz-1/pt-050.. we dove from the galapagos aggressor III. the water viz was not very good (typically 30-50 ft). worst viz was ~10ft.

red-lipped batfish (~70 ft, cabo douglas, fernindina island)
P4266830-adj-trim-small.jpg

red-lipped batfish in flight. cabo douglas, ~70 ft. these things are very strange. they walk across the bottom like insects and fly in the water for short distances like grasshoppers.
P4266828-adj-trim-small.jpg

marine iquana having lunch underwater. cabo douglas, fernindina island, ~12ft. the marine iquanas sit out on the shore in the sun until they are warm enough to go in the water and feed. water temp was 63F. video at link below iquana pic. vid taken by divemaster reuben..
P4266855-adj-trim1-small.jpg

http://tlcpropmgmt.com/audi/marine_iguanas_cabo_douglas-Desktop.m4v

zebra moray. capo marshall, isabela island, ~75 ft. we don't see many zebra morays diving.
P4236632-adj-trim-small.jpg

hammerhead sharks. the landslide, wolf island, ~75 ft.
P4246740-adj-small.jpg

hammerhead and galapagos shark. the landslide, wolf island, ~70ft.
P4256803-adj-small.jpg

me taking pics with my XZ-1. i don't use an external flash (internal flash only). camera is on a retractor on my BCD.
vid_cut_06_45.jpg

Very interesting wildlife and fun looking dives. The shot of the zerbra moray is impressive and without external strobe?

yes. the internal stobe is fine for 3-4 feet away. i have gotten some great pics over the years with just using the internal strobe. here is an example:

clown anemone fish, wakatobi indonesia, ~50 ft. xz-1/pt-050, internal strobe manual exposure.
P7203237-adj-trim-small.jpg

I am not sure why but these smaller cameras take great photo's up to a certain distance from the camera then drop off dramatically.

Take your Soros shrimp, a great shot that anyone would be proud of but your hammerheads are very soft yet they appear to be in focus. My partner has the a similar camera (panasonic) and I notice the same thing. Could be shutter lag but not sure that is the issue....Anyone have any thoughts on this?

I am not sure why but these smaller cameras take great photo's up to a certain distance from the camera then drop off dramatically.

Take your Soros shrimp, a great shot that anyone would be proud of but your hammerheads are very soft yet they appear to be in focus. My partner has the a similar camera (panasonic) and I notice the same thing. Could be shutter lag but not sure that is the issue....Anyone have any thoughts on this?

the water viz where the hammerheads were (wolf island) was very poor. estimate 35ft. i was just happy to see some of them finally and get a few pics. we have seen many sharks before, but not hammerheads.

Bruce

the water viz where the hammerheads were (wolf island) was very poor. estimate 35ft. i was just happy to see some of them finally and get a few pics. we have seen many sharks before, but not hammerheads.

Bruce

I too would be happy to see them in any water. I was diving at North Horn off Australia and a large shark swam by, I assumed it was a larger version of what I had been clicking most of the dive, it was only when it turned to swim away in the distance that I saw the Hammers, bloody annoying.

I too would be happy to see them in any water. I was diving at North Horn off Australia and a large shark swam by, I assumed it was a larger version of what I had been clicking most of the dive, it was only when it turned to swim away in the distance that I saw the Hammers, bloody annoying.

here is a vid of the hammerheads shot by one of the divemasters. i am the 3rd diver in this vid. you can see my olympus camera floating by my head. it is attached to a retractor on my BCD.

hammerhead shark vid link.
http://tlcpropmgmt.com/audi/hammerhead_and_galapagos_sharks-Desktop.m4v

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom