Yap Diving - Manta Ray Bay vs. Beyond the Reef?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
:snorkel: We're going to Yap in March, we have comparable prices for hotel/dive packages for the Manta Ray Bay hotel and Pathways/Beyond the Reef...any opinions on which would be better to go with.

The price difference is only like $75 for 4 days, Pathways is cheaper, so I am wondering if there is any benefit to Manta Ray Bay?

Also - does either place have ANY swimming access to the ocean??

Any recommendations or opinionas are appreciated!!

Crystal

Leaving on Friday...will let you know when we get back!

Crystal, I've dove with both Manta Ray and Beyond the Reef and I would much rather dive with Beyond the Reef. The service was MUCH more personable and overall a better time. The Manta Ray boat was a little bigger, but it was also more crowded (about 12 in all) compared to just 3 of us with Beyond the Reef.

As for swimming, there are only a few beaches in Yap, and the closest from town is about a 40 min car ride. Manta Ray is located on the bay in the center of town, but the water was dock-like, not very swimmable. Pathways wasn't too far away. If price is an issue, I recommend staying at Oceanview Motel. It's the cheapest place to stay in Yap ($40/night) and it is right in the center of town right across the street from Manta Ray/Yap Divers and a short 3-5 min walk to Beyond the Reef.

It is pretty basic: two comfortable beds, air conditioned, small tv, desk, clean bathroom, and a small store downstairs (with good, cheap lunch plates by the way)... but the whole time we were in Yap, we were only in our rooms when we were sleeping and showering so it suited us just fine.

see my yap trip report for more info. search for "yap trip report" in this section of the forum

have fun in betelnut country!

Thanks for the advice...that's pretty much what I'd gathered from a couple of other posts, and wanted to confirm! We'll be booking BTR!

h3o:
Crystal, I've dove with both Manta Ray and Beyond the Reef and I would much rather dive with Beyond the Reef. The service was MUCH more personable and overall a better time. The Manta Ray boat was a little bigger, but it was also more crowded (about 12 in all) compared to just 3 of us with Beyond the Reef.

As for swimming, there are only a few beaches in Yap, and the closest from town is about a 40 min car ride. Manta Ray is located on the bay in the center of town, but the water was dock-like, not very swimmable. Pathways wasn't too far away. If price is an issue, I recommend staying at Oceanview Motel. It's the cheapest place to stay in Yap ($40/night) and it is right in the center of town right across the street from Manta Ray/Yap Divers and a short 3-5 min walk to Beyond the Reef.

It is pretty basic: two comfortable beds, air conditioned, small tv, desk, clean bathroom, and a small store downstairs (with good, cheap lunch plates by the way)... but the whole time we were in Yap, we were only in our rooms when we were sleeping and showering so it suited us just fine.

see my yap trip report for more info. search for "yap trip report" in this section of the forum

have fun in betelnut country!

crystal, i was for a week in yap last july. stayed at manta ray. if you look for a real nice place to stay, i recommend traders ridge. they have a swimmingpool. price diff ist only about 10us/night? i understand btr ist the diving op of traders. with sars comming up again maybe you are in for a bargain. just ask, i see prices drop in gerneral.
enjoy your trip

swisstrav - greetings out of the cold

Just got back, diving with Yap Divers/Manta Ray Bay. Friends dove with BTR.

This is just my .02

Yap Divers has EANx. BTR does not. Before I went, I had heard that it doesn't matter cuz the YD DMs made you come up with them if they were on air. Not true. We had most people on EANx, a couple people on air. When the DM/ air divers had to go up, they went up. EANx divers stayed for as long as they want. And trust me, when you are sitting at 75 fsw for 1/2 an hour with mantas, you want that extra time.

Crowds. YD boats are bigger, so they carry more people. BTR boats are smaller. My friends had just the two of them and a DM for a couple days, but then 2 other people other days (and this is just bad luck, but they got skunked on mantas all trip). It's all relative. 6 people on a 20 foot boat or 10 on a 30 foot boat.

The most guests we had were 4 couples, plus DM and video guy. The fewest we had was 5, plus DM. All of the boats go to the manta dive in the morning, so there will always be people on the cleaning station (except when the DM had left us and there were only four of us, until the three boats of Traders Ridge/BTR people showed up). For example, on xmas day, I counted FOURTEEN boats moored up at Mi'l Channel - two cleaning stations, fourteen boats.

Point is, in my experience it wasn't that many people on the YD boats to justify calling then "cattle boats".

In the am, the tide is very low, and the BTR boats have a shallower draft, so while the YD boat have to go slowly through parts of the mangroves, the BTR boats get there a little faster. That is a plus (but you have to come up earlier than those on EANx or go into deco........).

YD is on site at MRBH. So you can eat BF and walk rght down to the dive op, attend to your gear, check on afternoon dives, get gear serviced, get EANx, etc.

Pathways looked nice. Rustic and well put together. It is on a lagoon. Has a decent restaraunt. Have no idea whether you could smell the lagoon at low tide from pathways, I could walking around it.

I preferred being on the harbor, getting a constant sea breeze, thts just my preference.

For some reason I can't figure out, there seems to be an emotional response to this issue. Before we went, I heard people talking about cattle boats, that MRBH is a concrete bunker, too modern, etc etc., like they had to prove how bad YD/MRBH was and how good PW and BTR was. Have to say that none of the things that were said were true, in my experience, is all I am saying. I have been on cattle boats. This wasn't a cattle boat. I suppose if you go at the wrong time and they have a lot of divers, then your experience will differ.

I would say that having heen there, and spending two dives of 40+ minutes at 75-80 feet with mantas soaring over my head, the thing that really made the difference was the EANx (unless you don't mind going into deco).

You can also stay at Pathways and dive with YD.

Whichever one you pick, have a fantastic time.

YMMV, my .02, etc.

Chris

crystalshe,
My wife and I were just in Palau and Yap Nov 20 - Dec 14. Things have been really slow on the island since Sept 11th and the economy turning south. I would recomend booking as little as possible before your trip - you have a lot better negotiating position. We paid $170 per night at the Manta Ray rooms were $180 at Traders ridge (we booked ahead of time but neither place would do much negotiating, but we did get an Ocean View - almost all rooms are at the Manta). I heard of one person negotiating at the Pathways down to $40/night. The Manta Ray Hotel doesn't look like much from the outside but has a LOT of character and is very nice in the inside. It has a cool ship/restaurant attached to the outside. The owner at the Manta is an interesting person who you will definately meet and hear some stories from. Traders ridge is also a very nice hotel. The gal running the place is remarkable and was fun to sit down over a meal and talk to (she's from Colorado and has a pet fruit bat). It sits on top of a hill (sort walk from the Manta) with great views over the lagoon. It has a nice restaurant, small pool, massage parlor. The rooms are bigger than the Manta's. As far as which dive shop to go with, go with the one that has the fewest people!!!! Normally it is feast one week famine the next so you won't know until you get there. You can dive with either shop even if you do stay at the Manta. Note that if you are going to Palau - the liveaboards will offer great deals if they have empty spots on the boat (30-50% off).

I concur that you want that Nitrox - you are essentially kneeling on the bottom at 70 ft and there is no deco relief due to profile. You WANT be there as LONG as possible.
\Don't forget to dive the western reefs at least a couple times- big schools of tuna on the rampage pass by there- though of course no guarantee. We had a blast with two VERY curious cuttlefish on the reef just east of the port- very cool to see them together.

Back
Top Bottom