YAP & PALAU - UNITED GIVETH & UNITED TAKETH AWAY

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That post as from October--it turned out to be a false rumor.

I flew to Koror (Palau) from Guam on Dec.23. The flight made a short stop in Yap. It wasn’t listed as a stop when I bought it 6 month ago. They may have added it recently.

On my way home on Jan 1, it went as plan, no stopping over on Yap. It went straight to Guam.

I flew to Koror (Palau) from Guam on Dec.23. The flight made a short stop in Yap. It wasn’t listed as a stop when I bought it 6 month ago. They may have added it recently. On my way home on Jan 1, it went as plan, no stopping over on Yap. It went straight to Guam.
I had a bunch of "likes" pop up on this thread so thought I should check back in. There IS some good news.

First of all Dan, what you experienced was the "normal" flight path. The plane went GUM-YAP-ROR-YAP-GUM. That's what's going away this weekend so in the future it's simply GUM-YAP-GUM twice a week. However, there have always been, and will continue to be, GUM-ROR-GUM flights. Palau's a much bigger market for tourism than Yap so they're not going to abandon it.

But the good news - courtesy of Chris Menjou - is that Caroline Islands Air (ironically referred to as CIA) is is talks to fill the void and, assuming it's approved will run two YAP-ROR-YAP flights a week, basically filling the void United created. The planes are a bit smaller so that might be an issue for divers with gear but what's interesting is the newspaper story says that anytime they have more people going than the plane can accommodate, they'll simply fly the first group in and then come back for the second group. We shall see:
Guam Palau CNMI news | Dededo | Pacific Island Times

(Edited to correct massive spelling errors but I'm fighting the flu so that's my excuse. :) )

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom