Yeap, I am new-scared but anxious-From Louisiana

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hello everyone,
Yeap, I am a new diver. I am so unaware of what is out there waiting for me to see. As I was purchasing equipment, I met this wonderful lady that told me about this site. She says it is the best way to meet, talk to, see, & buy things from other divers. That is what led me here.
My two children (ages 16 & 14) were also certified along with me at the end of last summer. Due to all of this crazy weather we have been having, we have yet to make a dive. I am axious to see what is out there, just hearing the stories people tell & seeing great underwater pictures, But I am very nervious & scard. My main concern is being that I have children (young adults - as my daughter would put it) that dive. How can I be certian of their safety at all times. As a mother I want to know where they are at, at any given moment. My son is 14 and is really small for his age (always mistaken for a 8 yr old) is also going to be joining us. During classes I noticed he had difficulty in going down & come back up. When he is ready to go down - wam, he goes too fast. When it is time for him to resurface- he shoots to the top. This is not good. My fear is that if he sees something that scars him, he is just going to inflate his bc, out of panic & shoot to the top, causing damge to his small body. Mother's worries I know. My husband who has been diving for quite some time loves spearfishing. When he stayed in Maui, HI for quite some time, he embrassed this sport & enjoys being in the water every moment he can. His return is what roped the whole family in joining him. Something we can all do together. However, my interest in spearfish is "0" right now. I do love the water & have always been consider a gupie...lol Other than this we enjoy the outdoor: fishing, camping, hicking, Hunting, etc. Anything to do with nature. We live in the country & would not have it any other way. Natures call to peace I say. Anyway, I look forward to meeting great folks on here who perhaps we can dive with, become friends, share experience, educate ourselves on places to go, thing to look out for, etc. I will be around & about.... SEE YA ! ! !

Welcome to SB and the underwater world.
I can imagine your worries, my daughter started diving when she was young (she was 15 then) and had a terrible time during the course and said she will never dive again. When I became an instructor (too bad I wasn't then when she was doing her course) I certified my son who was older then her but didn't want to scuba dive with anybody else but me. Now my daughter loves diving BUT dives only with me.
My point of all this is, make sure you are doing the open water dives with a really really good instructor. He / she should know how much weight your son needs to go down (not like a rock). Talk to your friends that are divers, or ask at different dive shops about good instructor. Believe me it is very important for you and for your kids.
Also another mistake new divers do (and I did the same), do not buy the scuba equipment unless you go with somebody that is a real diver, not a seller.
I am pretty sure you will find lot of great people on this board that will give you excellent advises. Good luck with your dives!!!

tlacombe33, if your son is actually managing his buoyancy as you describe, he is inadequately trained and needs some more work with an instructor. You are quite right to be worried about him, because lack of buoyancy control is a contributing factor to diving accidents. I'd highly recommend you post in your local subforum to ask for an instructor recommendation for him. He needs more education.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom