Yearly maintenance

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wormil

Contributor
Reaction score
Some one want to explain the purpose of yearly maintenance to me and why I should pay $70 to fix something that's working?
Price break down on a mares abyss 22 which purchased last year was $400+:
$34.50 - Labor
$14.00 - Parts 1st stage
$10.00 - Parts 2nd stage
$12.00 - O2 Cleaning.

What amazes me is the O2 Cleaning was discounted, it's normally $50 as per the receipt. Honestly, what the hell.

My future plan is to buy regs, use them till they stop working, and toss them in the trash.

Constructive Thoughts, comments, explanations are more than welcome. I'd really like a solid explanation.

Service of gear in one way for the shops to make money, especially in a bad economy.

Does keep the regs in warranty, which should have covered the cost of the parts, but not the labor.

And, it is your life support, how much are you worth?

Service of gear in one way for the shops to make money, especially in a bad economy.

Does keep the regs in warranty, which should have covered the cost of the parts, but not the labor.

And, it is your life support, how much are you worth?

Not $100. That's for sure. Warranty is 2 years / 100 dives, I took it in a bit early.

I would like to see much more divers like you,just buy new every time you have a hick-up.:D

Some one want to explain the purpose of yearly maintenance to me and why I should pay $70 to fix something that's working?
Price break down on a mares abyss 22 which purchased last year was $400+:
$34.50 - Labor
$14.00 - Parts 1st stage
$10.00 - Parts 2nd stage
$12.00 - O2 Cleaning.

What amazes me is the O2 Cleaning was discounted, it's normally $50 as per the receipt. Honestly, what the hell.

My future plan is to buy regs, use them till they stop working, and toss them in the trash.

Constructive Thoughts, comments, explanations are more than welcome. I'd really like a solid explanation.

OK plan unless the stuff stops working when you're 130' deep.

I would like to see much more divers like you,just buy new every time you have a hick-up.:D

Yeah. Good job 300bar! YTMND.

I'm hearing about people who don't bother with the yearly fixing and get 10 years out of regs before they degrade.

OK plan unless the stuff stops working when you're 130' deep.

Where's your redundant air at 130', your buddy (you need a buddy cause he's your life line), etc? If 6 regs between you fail, God wanted you dead.

Actually, you paid a lot less than most do for that service. But, I agree; if the service was unnecessary then it's a waste of money (and a chance for a service error). If you put some effort into learning about your gear then you could inspect your own gear to extend your service interval, do minor adjustments and repairs yourself, and know when it is time for major service. Throwing in the trash is silly when it can be sold on ebay. Plus, if you ever get into higher dollar high performance regulators. the acquisition cost will make replacement every few year unattractive.

If you don't service your regs annually, you'll die!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
It's only life support!!!!!!!!!!!!!
How much is your life worth?

...can you say cliche.

This subject is a dead horse that has been beaten to a pulp on other, multiple threads, just do a search.
After reading most of the related threads and talking to experienced divers, my observations are:
-regs do not fail suddenly--stop delivering air without warning. There are warning signs such as IP creep, change is breathing effort etc. long before regulator failure.
-most regs melfunction shortly after being serviced (often by 'qualified' technicians).

My conclusion:
-don't 'fix' your regulator (or let someone else do it) if it ain't broken!!!!

Get an IP gauge for $19 (cheaper if you make one yourself out of parts from northerntools) and check and record the IP for your regs, bimonthly or so. That's what I do.
If you do that and follow some common sense, you'll know when your reg needs servicing.
Here is a great link for advice on maintaining your reg:
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/regulators/260452-regulator-checklist-inspection.html

One last observation:
People tend to bend or distort the truth when there is money on the line.

If you don't service your regs annually, you'll die!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
It's only life support!!!!!!!!!!!!!
How much is your life worth?

...can you say cliche.

This subject is a dead horse that has been beaten to a pulp on other, multiple threads, just do a search.
After reading most of the related threads and talking to experienced divers, my observations are:
-regs do not fail suddenly--stop delivering air without warning.
People tend to bend or distort the truth when there is money on the line.

Yeah, I just did a search found a bunch. I'm a bit less angry now as time has passed. I'm still pissed about $12 O2 cleaning especially marked down from $50. I don't think charging for 02 cleaned reg on 40% is right, and is most possibly a scam.

Back
Top Bottom