Yellow Fins Attract Sharks?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jjchang

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi

I just purchased a pair of Yellow Scubapro Twin Jet fins from a Scubaboard mate. Just now, someone told me, "Sharks say 'Yum Yum Yellow ...'" Is this true that yellow fins attract sharks?

Jay

Best answer: Who the Hell knows?

Don't worry about it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I've always heard sharks are more attracted to contrast (so yellow against black) than they are yellow on its own.

You could experiment and wear a yellow fin on one leg and a black one on the other, and wait and see which leg gets eaten off first...

I think your going to be fine (though I'll admit I have some shark anxiety about my upcoming first ocean dives, even though it is a silly thing to worry about. The perch in the quarry were very non-threatening.) So few divers are ever actually attacked by sharks, it would be difficult to say if ones in yellow gear are more at risk.

Have worn yellow fins/yellow split fins on multiple shark dives, multiple locations, including an accidental Great White encounter "in the wild", and have never had an issue. It has been speculated that "contrast" could be the catalyst, but ??

there are a few people on the board who wear yellow fins -- and they are still here after hundreds of dives

You could experiment and wear a yellow fin on one leg and a black one on the other, and wait and see which leg gets eaten off first...

I'm still alive. Six years and counting with this setup. Ha ha. bumblebee fins.jpg

If I thought yellow fins attracted sharks, I might buy a pair. There are few things that are more rewarding during an ocean dive than spotting a nice shark.

I had yum yum yellow on my wetsuit for many years. had some interesting shark encounters over those years but have had an equal or better number since went to purple highlights.

Sharks eat turtles. Sharks eat seals.

I have never seen a seal or a turtle with bright yellow fins.

Not looking like a seal sounds good to me.

I dive yellow fins (helps folks keep track of me in lower viz).

Have seen hundreds of sharks. They could care less about my yellow fins.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom