Yep... another Florida diver!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FloridaSpork

Registered
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Another new Florida diver here. I just found this board a few days ago and I've been reading like a fool! I've found a ton of great information here already.

I live in Orlando and have been certified for a couple months. I did my check-outs at Rainbow River on Memorial Day weekend. So if Jigster and Scubagatorgal are reading... Hi there! I was in one of the groups on the pontoon boats :)

Anyway... does anyone have any suggestions for some cool dive sites in the Central Florida Area? I've been to Ginnie Springs, Devil's Den, a couple other springs in Gainesville area, and Marathon (not really Central Florida, but hey). I'm always looking for new places to get wet! I'm heading up to Gainesville again next week for more spring diving and then on to Boca the following week... so if you're in the area, stop by and say hi. Or better yet, grab your gear and get in the water :idea:

Hope to hear from y'all soon!

Patrick

Welcome to the boards.

As to the question of where some good diving is...the Hudson Grotto (in Hudson..what a concept) is nice. It's about 110 feet deep at the bottom, there are some cars sunk in there, a toilet chained to the wall (interesting story..nice one Allan), a buddah is also chained to the wall (again..a nice story behind it), and numerous other things in there to keep you visualy occupied. It's not in Central Florida though. But the good thing is...if you go there, the ocean is just down the road.

Happy and safe diving.

:poking:

just north of you! We have two oceans (east or west) and great places like Blue Spring (30 minutes) or Alexander Springs (1 hour 15 minutes). My Venture Crew goes on a dive at least once a month... In fact we are heading to Alexander this Saturday (8:00 am) for some check out dives. Come on over if you would like!

FloridaSpork,

Welcome to the board... I'm from the Gulf Coast Area (Charlotte Co).
Diving in the springs sounds really cool, I am definetly going to try them later this fall.

Wildbill

:rainbow:
Hello Mr. Spork!

I am absolu tely new to diving. In fact, I start my first open water class on Sunday!! So I guess you can say I am not even new to diving yet!!! B ut as far as your request, I obviously do not know all the hot spots yet, but in the Agust issue of Dive Training magazine there was an article on Vortex Springs which is on the pan handle of Florida. It looks cool in the article and the website is www.vortexspring.com. Check it out. Let me know what you think.

Hey everybody,

Thanks for the greets. It's good to know there are some other Florida divers around.

Hey NetDoc! I used to live in Altamonte! Whenever I-4 isn't a parking lot, I head up there every now and then. I haven't been to either Alexander or Blue Spring just yet. Depending on how things go next week, I just might get the chance to check out both of them.

And if you get the chance, WildBill, I'd highly recommend Devil's Den and Ginnie Springs. They're fairly close to each other so you could get both of them in on the same trip. Ginnie can get pretty busy on the weekends, but it's still well worth it.

I was looking at Vortex Spring's website and it looks like a very cool dive. Hudson Grotto sounds like a trip, too.

Man... so many places to dive, so little cash :)

Back
Top Bottom