Yesterday I began my life aquatic.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

beth_castroll

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I can remember childhood pets of goldfish swimming in various bowls on the nightstand next to my bed. I remember longingly looking into bowls personifying thoughts of friendship between me and my fishes. Starved for interaction I would rap upon the bowl.
“Here fishy, fishy, fishy” But never did my fishy friend oblige my calling, so inevitably I would stick my hand into the bowl grasping for the poor creature and then ripping it from its Zen-like harmony in the bowl out into the deathly air where it would flop and flip gasping for breath. I would spend several seconds petting the fish before thrusting my hand back into the bowl and freeing the fish. Often the periled Carassius auratus would swim sideways as if drunk, round and round the bowl, until either it recovered to live another day or to float belly up and end up in the big flush.

Yesterday I began my life aquatic.

I can remember kicking hard, bobbing up, taking in a deep breath before plunging myself into the pool and exhaling my life into the Buoyancy Compensator. Up and down, bobbing and blowing, hoping not to swim sideways or belly up. “Good! Now back to the blackline”, my dive instructor directed, but all I could think of was that poor fish out of water and how I had become a human in water trying to breath as just as desperately as my fish from long ago.

Learning to dive has been a life long desire for me and taking that first class yesterday was a small step in that goal. We swam 250 meters to prove we could. We trod water for 10 minutes. We did the diver’s wiggle and encased our skin in neoprene. We practiced diving under the water with our snorkels in mouth, only to spit them out at the surface to quickly bob and fill our BC’s.

I take great personal satisfaction in trying my hand at this endeavor. I see many challenges to over come as a plus size diver from poorly fitting dive suits and BC’s that require extra cummerbunds to not having the physical stamina as someone else who is in better conditioning, or to those nasty *** leg cramps that have left my calves screaming for mercy this morning but all in all I have to give myself a few props for doing what many fear and to keep reminding myself that no one learns to dive in their first lesson.

Here’s to my future life aquatic and the hopes to never feel like a human in water.

:colouredsmilies: Welcome to ScubaBoard! :colouredsmilies: Awesome introduction and for starting to do what you've wanted to do for your entire life! Feel free to buzz me if you have any questions. As well, there is a very active "ScubaBoard Fitness Challenge" on here if you are trying to lose weight, etc (I am!) - etc. Look forward to hearing more of your certification experience.

Again - congrats and welcome!

I would say it's great to have another diver from your neck of the woods here on ScubaBoard - but I have no idea where your neck of the woods is!

You'll find that you'll get a lot more out of Scuba Board by telling everyone where you're from - local dive tips, shop info, invites to go diving, etc.

So...

Where are you from?

sarita -thanks for your comments.
i'll check out the ScubaBoard Fitness Challenge.

rjp - i once said i was from bridgewater, nj but i now live in oakland, ca. i have no tips. my dive shop is nautalus in concord, ca and my ow cert dive will be on 10/20 in monterrey, followed by a week of diving in maui. i'm stoked. i'm sure i'll figure out the ole in's and outs of this board as time goes by...thanks for your advice!

Welcome to scubaboard. Hope you like it here.

Enjoy poking around the forums. If you have specific questions you can PM anyone, or start a thread. Alternately...as you've no doubt guessed...a question you have may have been asked before, and the thread may be in the archives. The search function (command bar at the top of this page, fourth item in from the right side) allows you to review large numbers of threads on any topic you could dream of, from specific questions about a given regulator to broad questions regarding wetsuits or diving destinations.

Warning: it can get addictive! :wink:

Hope you like your class, and welcome to the board.

Doc

well that was a damn eloquent introduction! Welcome Aboard and good luck on your cert dives!

Welcome to the 'board and to SCUBA!
Loved your intro. Once you get your c-card, feel free to check out your new local forum here on the board... http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/norcal/ ... Here you will find locals that will help you learn and grow in this new found addiction. Enjoy!

Back
Top Bottom