Yet, another ? about tying off the SPG and primary?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Data:
Mo2vation, you're SB staff and trolling around in the DIR forum? :confused:
what you said might work great for you, but it is certainly not DIR
Maybe not, but I've dived with DIR'ers who use 'em. Same kind of people who run their light cord under their long hose. :eyebrow:

Rick Inman:
Maybe not, but I've dived with DIR'ers who use 'em. Same kind of people who run their light cord under their long hose. :eyebrow:

OMG we're all going to die!

Zip ties are annoying IMO, cave line is much nicer.

serrada:
Great Stuff. Thanks guys. Now I just need to order some #24.

Thats why they invented Home Depot and Lowes.

Rick Inman:
Same kind of people who run their light cord under their long hose. :eyebrow:
:no I've used to run it under also but have been easily convinced not to by GUE instructor with task loading (valve problems, OOG, clip off, switch, OOG again, no mask) :D

MonkSeal:
:no I've used to run it under also but have been easily convinced not to by GUE instructor with task loading (valve problems, OOG, clip off, switch, OOG again, no mask) :D

Come again? What problem would you be having?

Oh, and about zip ties. I hate zip ties for holding clips. They break too easily.

What i've tried instead of cave line is to tie the knot with 2mm bungie. That might not be DIR but it works like a charm, doesn't bind on the hose and if you get the clip stuck on something you can pull it slightly away for cutting so you're not hacking away with your knife right along your hose. Any comments?

R..

Diver0001:
Come again? What problem would you be having?
When cable is routed under hose you have to pull it under hose to clip it off. If you don't do that long hose is trapped.

Diver0001:
What i've tried instead of cave line is to tie the knot with 2mm bungie. That might not be DIR but it works like a charm, doesn't bind on the hose and if you get the clip stuck on something you can pull it slightly away for cutting so you're not hacking away with your knife right along your hose. Any comments?
I see no need for additional bungie. When you tie boltsnap you tie it near SPG to metal part rather then to hose. When you have to cut it you cut it against boltsnap.

MonkSeal:
I see no need for additional bungie. When you tie boltsnap you tie it near SPG to metal part rather then to hose. When you have to cut it you cut it against boltsnap.
Same with the second stage clips. Mine are tied to the swage fitting closest to the second stage.

What ever method works for an indivdual is great,just the question I'd ask is have you tested it? If in an emergency ie entanglement or deploy regulator in a OOA situation does the cable tie fail easily,or can the #24 line but removed fast enough. The downside to cave line is that it involves an extra step which is deploying a knife,and in the case of a spg possibly having to cut where you can't see,which could mean cutting a hose or dry suit. The one thing I did like and borrowed is when the WKPP recommended the use of o-rings,and they work quite well. I've never had a failure at an inappropriate time,and in an entanglement situation it failed like it was supposed to. I think the big mistake people do when they do the o-ring method is pick a regular yoke o-ring and that is a mistake,need a bigger parker number.

MonkSeal:
When cable is routed under hose you have to pull it under hose to clip it off. If you don't do that long hose is trapped.

Thanks, now I can visualize what you mean.

R..

karstdvr:
If in an emergency ie entanglement or deploy regulator in a OOA situation does the cable tie fail easily,or can the #24 line but removed fast enough. The downside to cave line is that it involves an extra step which is deploying a knife,and in the case of a spg possibly having to cut where you can't see,which could mean cutting a hose or dry suit.
For OOA, you always donate the reg from your mouth. That reg should never be clipped off, since you are breathing it. The only situation where someone would need to donate a clipped-off reg is with a rebreather, and that action is pretty far down the list of "what to do" in an OOA emergency.

Regarding the SPG - I've never had to do it, but I'm fairly confident that I could cut my SPG loose without looking at it, and without cutting anything else. And don't forget about getting help from your buddy - it's possible that he or she could free it, even when you can't (depends on the situation I know, but it is still a viable option).

karstdvr:
The one thing I did like and borrowed is when the WKPP recommended the use of o-rings,and they work quite well.
I used those for a time as well. I never had a failure in the water, but they do become brittle and cracked over time, even in fresh water. I imagine that salt water is much harder on them. I always replaced mine before that became a problem.

The advantages of cave line over O-rings (other than a stronger connection) is that field repairs are pretty easy, requiring only a lighter and knife or scissors (and in a pinch you can even do without the lighter). I always have a knife and cave line with me (on my spool or reel), so repair is a snap. It can even be done in the water if necessary, which is good if you have to cut something to free it.

With the O-ring method, the second stage or SPG must be removed from the hose to effect a repair, which requires an extra tool or two, as well as a shutdown and purge of the reg. Plus you must have spare O-rings lying around, which means more parts that have you have to purchase and bring to the dive site. Cave line is cheap and plentiful, so it's never a problem getting more when you need it.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom