Yet another Hog thread

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ok, that begs the question - is it the same kit for a D1 too? ( I have a D3 Yoke kit and was going to put it on one of my D3's for an upcoming Blackbeards trip, but I might reconsider and use a D1 instead if I can) TIA

No. D3/d2 yoke kit is different than the d1.

Are the filter and O-ring the same on the D3 DIN & Yoke versions?

I'll swap the O-ring (-011 90Duro OK?) but I'd like to reuse the low-time filter and save the new one as a spare.

Also 230 in-lbs for the retainer, correct?

To the OP, if you go with Hog (or anyone else that allows you to self-service like Deep 6 or Poseidon), definitely take @rsingler 's reg servicing seminar.

Are the filter and O-ring the same on the D3 DIN & Yoke versions?

I'll swap the O-ring (-011 90Duro OK?) but I'd like to reuse the low-time filter and save the new one as a spare.

Also 230 in-lbs for the retainer, correct?
Yes they are the same.
Yes -230 in-lbs.
However, I can't recommend not changing the filter. If you are keeping the new one and have to change it out down the road, that often means you got crap in the reg that is going to require a full rebuild anyway. I never re-use filters and always put a new one in.

Yes they are the same.
Yes -230 in-lbs.
However, I can't recommend not changing the filter. If you are keeping the new one and have to change it out down the road, that often means you got crap in the reg that is going to require a full rebuild anyway. I never re-use filters and always put a new one in.
Thanks, Jim!

I'm not doing a service now, just doing a Blackbeard's trip and switching it over to Yoke for a week. The Yoke conversion kit came with another filter & o-ring. I got almost no diving in last couple years so very little use on this newish reg and no sign of "schmutz" on the filter (I've already pulled the DIN inlet.)

The "spare" is more in case I do something dumb swapping Din-Yoke-DIN or lose/damage one from a kit.

BTW: I am still hoping to do the class with you now that things are "better."

Thanks, Jim!

I'm not doing a service now, just doing a Blackbeard's trip and switching it over to Yoke for a week. The Yoke conversion kit came with another filter & o-ring. I got almost no diving in last couple years so very little use on this newish reg and no sign of "schmutz" on the filter (I've already pulled the DIN inlet.)

The "spare" is more in case I do something dumb swapping Din-Yoke-DIN or lose/damage one from a kit.

BTW: I am still hoping to do the class with you now that things are "better."
Summertime I'll be able to offer the class under or next to a 24x60 covered pavilion with the pool 5-10 steps away.

So like so many other posts hereabouts I am considering a Hog D3/Zenith setup. I don’t have a LDS, so unless I decide to drive for 6 hours round trip to drop off my stuff I will be shipping it for maintenance. Anyway, I see some individual reports of people using Hog equipment and liking it for the most part and it seems pretty well reviewed, but there is really a paucity of actual reviews that I’ve found. Thoughts on their gear? I’m comfortable with getting certified to do my own maintenance or shipping the reg off as needed. Do they breathe dry? How do they tolerate inversion? How is their cold-ish water performance? Puget Sound is my home water and it gets down to 45F, although my dives during that time of year would be very rare. Most of the time when I dive in the sound it is in the 50-55 degree range.

Veritas numquam perit
Brian Williams
I don’t know anything about Hog, but FYI Jade Scuba sells (and I presume services) Hog. Ashley and Jake (owners) operate out of their house and a large van…so no typical walk-in shop. They’re in Port Orchard. I assume you’re in the Seattle area since your photo looks to be redondo.

Good to know! My sister and brother in law are in Olympia and I'm in Eastern WA. Pic is indeed from Redondo last fall. Brother in law is from PtO. We are headed to Sund Rock in a few weeks.

Back
Top Bottom