Yet another ingenious UW breathing device

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've seen a few ads for these sort of "snorkel assist" type systems, for lack of a better description. Even for people that dive, though, the idea of using these for that recreational purpose doesn't seem all that safe. If I think of myself as snorkeling, I'm in the mindset of holding my breath underwater. If I'm diving, I'm programmed not to hold my breath on the way up. I'm not sure how I'd feel about being somewhere in between in my thinking.

I guess the only reason we don't see fatalities from these products on a regular basis is that users get tired halfway through pumping their first tank by hand, empty it practicing before they get more than a couple feet underwater, and never get the thing out of their attic again once they come home.

A rare case of two wrongs making... a lesser wrong. The user still gets fleeced, you can get certified complete with 4 open water dives for the cost of one of these contraptions.

Sounds like some jury-rigged paintball stuff? 30-45 minutes to fill the tank per comments on Amazon. I might be too tired to dive after. (Remembering my first time inflating an inflatable paddleboard to 20psi with a 2 stage hand pump...different volume/pressure but amounts to about the same thing. Except for not being able to kill myself as easily on a SUP.)

i bought the DX Diver 6cf pony bottle setup like this one kinda but better quality and bought a 3 stage handpump to give it a whirl. my tank is a little bigger than the minidive tank i think.. roughly 930 pumps / 2 hours and 40 min later. Air quality very mildly tasted a little like breathing out of a hose. I dont recommend using this method all the time really but ya its neat if your out of air in your AL80 tanks so you cant use the transfill whip to refill...the pump does work and recommend taking your time filling tank so you dont get moisture.. the pump gets hot so the more you let it cool down the better. its pretty warm after 50 pumps when you get to 400 psi and up which i think might give that hint of burnt rubber. no i have not dove yet with this air so i cant tell you if i got a headache or not haha

Overall its a neat idea but get your scuba licence if your gonna use under 10 feet

i bought the DX Diver 6cf pony bottle setup like this one kinda but better quality and bought a 3 stage handpump to give it a whirl. my tank is a little bigger than the minidive tank i think.. roughly 930 pumps / 2 hours and 40 min later. Air quality very mildly tasted a little like breathing out of a hose. I dont recommend using this method all the time really but ya its neat if your out of air in your AL80 tanks so you cant use the transfill whip to refill...the pump does work and recommend taking your time filling tank so you dont get moisture.. the pump gets hot so the more you let it cool down the better. its pretty warm after 50 pumps when you get to 400 psi and up which i think might give that hint of burnt rubber. no i have not dove yet with this air so i cant tell you if i got a headache or not haha

Overall its a neat idea but get your scuba licence if your gonna use under 10 feet
The the top ten feet have greatest pressure change, so that is where proper training is critical. The tempature of the are in the tube has no bearing on the amount of *WATER* that gets into the tank. The percent moisture of the air at the intake will determine the percentage of the air i the tank. Unfiltered, moist air drawn in to the tank will create moist unfiltered compressed air. I forget off hand what happens to water vap under pressure (I believe it will condense). Moisture and mold, just what you want to draw deep into your lungs....
Edit:water not air

The tempature of the are in the tube has no bearing on the amount of air that gets into the tank....

I have to respectfully disagree.
PV=NRT

Keep in mind T is in Kelvin, so differences are not that huge.

your 3000psi hot may become 2700psi when it cools.

I continue to ve amazed how much time and money and effort people will spend and how much risk they will take to NOT needing to take the basic OW course to get scuba certified. All the diy hookahs and stuff. It is like insisting to only use your own diy recycled paper ropes for mountain climbing:shocked: what could go wrong indeed

The Scorkl page of Indiegogo is a regular read for me. I know it's wrong to laugh but some of the comments are awesome.

The unbelievable lack of due diligence from the investors is utterly mind-boggling. This campaign has been up for over a year and a half, he's raised 1.8 million and a comparable amount on Kickstarter. It's one thing for early investors getting scammed but there is a year and a half of hate in the comments section and people are still sending in money.

I manufacture scuba equipment and if I spent millions of dollars to develop a Spare Air knock-off, I would be soooo fired.

I was a territory rep for the scuba industry and if I sold a product to dive stores, collected money and never delivered, those dive store owners would start throwing rocks at me every time they saw me. In a town with multiple dive stores, they would form an angry mob and hunt me down.

This is one of my favorite recent comments:

1 month ago

For everyone complaining about ordering a few months ago hate to break it to you but nothing is going to happen. I ordered this in June of 2016 and there has been nothing but ****** updates saying updates in a few months. I thought that ordering a thousand dollar kit would be a cool addition for my little boat and scuba gear. But I bet another summer goes by without it.

Another one from the comments

“Bryan Lloyd Anderson”:
Hey David, nice guy here.

Please give us an update. Broke college student who spent money he shouldn’t have on a product some people are really starting to worry about.

Please update
So this guy is a broke student and spent money on a Kickstarter ? I need to change business ... there seems to be no shortage of people making poor decisions ...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom