Yet ANOTHER light recommedation thread...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dano,,,I have your M-680L light for the same reason the original poster said. I never have to worry about recharging because it's stays in my drybag for 6 months until I need it on the boat (even though I dive almost every week). I have a bright pencil light on the tip of my gun that is perfect for under ledges without spooking fish. But on the rare times we are diving in 10ft diameter huge boulders, I need the 680.

It's a great brite light with a push button, battery indicator, and best of all super cheap size 123 disposable batteries. I never leave the batts in the light and carry 3 sets cause they are tiny and take up no room. For those of us that bring a backup light and 'need it to work' when out on a day boat. The M-680L is{was} a workhorse with cheap size 123 batts for a drybag backup light.

Thanks very much for the positive feedback John.

The light you have was a good one, but we have since moved on to what we feel is a better light.

In any regard, this discussion prompted me to break out a few 123 batteries and put them in the newer 970 lumen light. They seem to work and I don't see any obvious difference in light output. The two batteries are more volts than the 18650 rechargeable, but it seemed to work.

I'm going to fire off an Email about this specific question to my factory to see if they can give the thumbs up for the flexibility in batteries. They definitely fit and the light works, but before I recommend that option, I'll need some confirmation.

THANKS guys for bringing this up. If we can deliver even more flexibility with regard to power supply, everybody wins!

Dano

Last edited:
I'm quite happy with this: League I use it for peering into holes and as a backup for my main light, a Sola 800.
Ironically, this is what ia currently using as well. However, i am curious if there is a better/brighter option out there?

Hmmmm..... got a "Bro code" for me :wink:

Tell you what, you order the 970 with the rechargeable battery (standard) and I will have the guys throw in two pairs of the disposable 123 lights. you can be my "in-water-tester" of the configuration. If the light has problems, just return it and I will issue a full refund.. on me...

Just let me know via pm (name etc. ) so I can let the guys in the shop know.

Tell you what, you order the 970 with the rechargeable battery (standard) and I will have the guys throw in two pairs of the disposable 123 lights. you can be my "in-water-tester" of the configuration. If the light has problems, just return it and I will issue a full refund.. on me...

Just let me know via pm (name etc. ) so I can let the guys in the shop know.
DEAL!!!!!

Sending PM now. Thanks Dano!!!

Well Everyone, it looks like I spoke too soon.

The factory got back to me with a big thumbs down on the idea. The bulb (LEd emitter) has a voltage range of 3.4 to 4.2 volts. A pair of 123's will deliver 6 volts in series which is NOT compatible. It worked for the few minutes when I tried it, but no cigar.

Sorry about that everyone, we don't have a viable source for disposable batteries to power this light.

..Sorry about that everyone, we don't have a viable source for disposable batteries to power this light.

Thanks for the update!!

So i am looking for a unicorn? Ha ha ha!!!

Not really, if you are not looking for super high lumens, these lights from Piranha were very highly recommended several years back. I think they are also sold under the brand name "Dorcy".

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom