Yet another Neo vs Trilam thread

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kiwiguy

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi all yes I am newbie and yes I have used the search function extensively over the last 4 days. I am looking at two options for my first drysuit and am still undecided..:idk:

My options are:
Merino lined Hypercompressed 4mm Neo drysuit or Evolution 2 from Pinnacle.

I dive generally in water from 9 degrees celcius to 16 degrees celcius (48f to 61f) and mostly in depths from 10 to 20 metres although sometimes a 30m dive is on offer. I sometimes do a very small amount of wreck diving but very low level stuff.

What I have read seems to be that neo will keep me warmer but will require more lead and that the evo suit will require more in the way of insulation from undergarments and that the evo is likely to be more hardwearing. The evo is front zipped while the neo is rear zipped. I have tried both suits on in the shop and both fit very nicely. The neo is NZD1299 and the evo has been reduced from NZD3000 to NZD1400 so the price difference is nothing.

Any thoughts or advice on which way i should go would be appreciated. Its my first drysuit and I want to make the most informed decision I can.

Thanks oh wise ones

Hi all yes I am newbie and yes I have used the search function extensively over the last 4 days. I am looking at two options for my first drysuit and am still undecided..:idk:

My options are:
Merino lined Hypercompressed 4mm Neo drysuit or Evolution 2 from Pinnacle.

I dive generally in water from 9 degrees celcius to 16 degrees celcius (48f to 61f) and mostly in depths from 10 to 20 metres although sometimes a 30m dive is on offer. I sometimes do a very small amount of wreck diving but very low level stuff.

What I have read seems to be that neo will keep me warmer but will require more lead and that the evo suit will require more in the way of insulation from undergarments and that the evo is likely to be more hardwearing. The evo is front zipped while the neo is rear zipped. I have tried both suits on in the shop and both fit very nicely. The neo is NZD1299 and the evo has been reduced from NZD3000 to NZD1400 so the price difference is nothing.

Any thoughts or advice on which way i should go would be appreciated. Its my first drysuit and I want to make the most informed decision I can.

Thanks oh wise ones

Do you solo dive? If so, a front-zip is the way to go. I personally want one anyway, for those occasions when I have to exit the water in a hurry on the way to a bathroom, and don't wish to be dependent on a buddy to unzip me. Using a P-valve or relief zipper will mostly eliminate that as an issue. BTW, I take it that the Pinnacle Black Ice, a Merino-lined compressed neo front-zip, is not an option for you? Best of both worlds.

If you travel by air a lot to dive, I'd go with the Evo2. It will be a lot lighter and less bulky than a neo suit. If underwater drag is a major issue for you, go with the neo. Other than that, you've pretty much covered the tradeoffs.

Guy

I dive with a buddy always but it just seems the front zip is a good idea. Dont think we can get the Black ice here..even though the Merino etc is from NZ.....

My 2c
I wouldn't own a compressed Neo suit, not because they don't work or don't dive well, purely for convenience, they take too long to dry and weigh a lot when wet.
I have rear and front entry drysuits, I can don either on my own, but it's a lot easier t don the front entry suit.

You'll get a lot of opinions that go the other way, for lots of reasons, in the end you have to decide what's improtant to you. If both suits fit equally well, you'll likely be happy with either.

Sorry for delay in replying BB1...I got the last one but there is a med I think for NZD1000.....yes bought the Evo 2 and now just waiting to get in the water...picked up a set of rockboots as well and now a new set of fins is in order

Had my first dive in the Evo 2...9 degrees water temp. Wore merino leggings, merino long sleeve and light wool top...a little cold but love the suit..dry diving is a wonderful thing... had to force my old dive boots and fins on as my Hollis F1s havent arrived so not ideal but couldnt wait any longer. Hurry up fins!!!!!!!

Suit dried so quickly after washing the outside and I LOVE it...now some nice undergarments is next on the list...when is birthday?????????

Back
Top Bottom