Yet another tipping thread...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't know how an instructor does it, at least for some agencies. Anyhow I signed up for a dry suit course it was like $230 bucks for two days the class/pool and OW dives. I was trying to do a break down in my head. If each recieved a 1/3 Instructor, Shop, Padi that would be like $75 and some change for each. I have had decent instructors thus far except for my PADI wreck class which if I knew what it was then I would not have taken it. But seems like $37.50 for each day to my instructor is pretty meger for what they do (again if they do it well). Now if they had four students I can see it, but I am the only one.

Oh as for the topic, I agree with most and say hey do what you feel and makes you feel good about it, but a tip should really never be expected or infered if that is the case charge 15% more above what is currently charged and give it to the DMS and such that work for tips, kind of like going to a resturant with six or more and they automatically charge a 15% gratuity, well heck my family is six everytime we eat out.

I plan on tipping my instructor cause he has been fun it may not be cash but something to say thanks.

I've never seen or heard of an instructor taking or expecting tips. That seems just a shade greedy to me after the course fees etc. Now DM's work for tips almost always and the amount depends on how deep your pockets are and how good you felt the experience was. On average I would receive 40 for a two tank dive per tipper (some don't tip at all and some tip extremely well) on occasion though I have been tipped over 200 by divers who really appreciated the service and were apparently very generous. It really depends and there is no wrong answer though getting stiffed isn't fun as a DM however I don't believe it would be appropriate to tip an instructor.

Aside from the perfect world, where everyone got paid a good wage and did a good job and no tipping, I think what to tip varies a lot. Tipping an instructor after the class is rarely done to my knowledge. Why that is I don't know. They do get paid, but usually not a whole lot. A waitress also gets a slim wage. DMs assisting where I used to DM got paid--what amounts to minimum wage--they also didn't get tipped. Quite a few apparently assist on classes without pay, which many know will always puzzle me. Sometimes the Instructor will mention that to students and encourage tipping the DMs. A lot of DMs do charters without pay (many of them are actually Instructors). They usually get tipped, and I almost always go with the $10/tank as mentioned. I think the rational for working boats without a salary is that you get to dive free. Guess there's a bit of logic there (considering the cost if the DM paid as a customer for a charter), but it seems to be an awful lot of work and long days to dive free and get tipped (even if the tips are good). It all is what it is I guess.

I have tipped an instructor once. My Husband and I were doing a course at a resort (one that catered to divers with a professional shop attached) and it ended up just being the two of us with one instructor for the whole weekend. She was really cool and went well above and beyond what I feel she was required to. I think in that case it was okay, but in general I don't tip for paid courses.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom