YMCA certification

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fisherdvm

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Not to push the Y brand, but I didn't even know they still existed. But if you live near Dearborn, MI, here is an opportunity to get a rare c-card:

3/31-4/7: YMCA Scuba Diving Class - Dearborn Michigan Area - March 31

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Reply to: see below
Date: 2008-02-20, 11:17AM EST

YMCA SCUBA DIVING COURSE
Sponsored by the Ford Sea Lancers and the Dearborn Board of Education (Adult Education)
WHEN:
Monday and Wednesday nights from 6:00 p.m. to 9:00 p.m. The first class in 2008 begins Monday, March 31st. Classes run for five weeks including the written final exam the last night of class. Registration begins at 5:30 p.m. on the first night. Prior to entry into the course, satisfactorily completion and submission of course registration forms, including a medical questionnaire, is required. A written Doctors clearance is required for any positive responses on the medical questionnaire.

WHERE:
Clara Bryant Jr. High School in Dearborn, one block West of Telegraph, 1 block N. of Cherry Hill on Drexel.

COST:
Cost of $169.00 per person includes:
-Classroom instruction -Text Book -Dive Log Book
-Pool Instruction -SCUBA tank rental -Buoyancy compensator rental
-Regulator rental -Transportation of equipment

To become certified, five (5) open water check-out dives are required with a YMCA instructor. The cost for the check-out dives is $125.00. SCUBA equipment rental from a local dive shop will be the responsibility of the student. Checkouts will take place at a local quarry in Ohio after completion of all classroom and pool requirements. Check-out will be the weekends of May 17 & 18 for the March class and October 18 & 19, 2007 for the September class. If you choose to checkout elsewhere a $25 certification fee is required.

It's a good class. That's how I learned how to dive.

I don't know about rare ... YScuba's been around a long time, and still conducts regular classes in my area. I did OW, AOW and rescue (SLAM) classes thru the Y before switching over to NAUI ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Our retired Y director told me that they used to let the SSI folks teach at their Y. He said the reason why the Y stopped much of the scuba teaching is the damage it caused to their pool. It does make sense.

Most courses taught over multiple weeks, such as that by the Y, give good opportunity to perfect pool skills. The Y program puts more emphasis on learning skills in the pool than in open water. The quality of the open water portion therefore is crucial to the overall quality of the class.

YMCA certification requires 4 dives with a 5th snorkel dive optional. The minimum requirement is for 15min. dives, and with a 10min. surface interval between two dives exiting the water is not even a requirement. This could result in a mere 60min. total check out dive time, and as little as 80min. total in-water time. The skills to be performed in open water are minimal compared to the much maligned PADI. The Y Instructor however, has great latitude in what he (or she) chooses to include. Done properly the YMCA certification is to be proud of. Done poorly.......it's just lame.

The sad thing is that it's become such a small agency anymore that fewer people at dive destinations have ever heard of it.

FWIW I was YMCA certified through Instructor level, though I've since switched to PADI for various reasons.

D.C.C.

As I understand, PADI and SSI require that the dives must be done on 2 separate days.... I imagine trying to do it all in 1 day is for economy reasons. But I have to admit, I prefer more emphasis on the pool time, if it is quality, and if the pool is large enough and deep enough to perfect ascent and descent skills.

With all the watering down of programs, the brand really doesn't seem to make a different now a day.

I didn't mean to imply YMCA does all dives in one day. They must be done over two or more days. For cold water regions with typically low viz, lots of pool time is good, however here in warm, clear water it's nice to get on with diving in a real environment.

And you are right in that the brand really doesn't matter much. However...... I have seen shops in this part of the world look at a Y card, especially with no photo on it, and be very suspicious of it. Too bad they dropped from one of the top three to "other agency" on waivers.

D.C.C.

I didn't mean to imply YMCA does all dives in one day. They must be done over two or more days. For cold water regions with typically low viz, lots of pool time is good, however here in warm, clear water it's nice to get on with diving in a real environment.

And you are right in that the brand really doesn't matter much. However...... I have seen shops in this part of the world look at a Y card, especially with no photo on it, and be very suspicious of it. Too bad they dropped from one of the top three to "other agency" on waivers.

D.C.C.

IIRC, YMCA will allow an upgrade to a CMAS card (it could depend on the instructor though, as CMAS one star goes over basic deco procedures). If you ever plan on diving in Europe, the CMAS cards are well respected, and in France are the only cards that are accepted without question (PADI OW cards require you to dive with a DM or instructor-much like PADI's "scuba diver.")

BuoyantC:
YMCA certification requires 4 dives with a 5th snorkel dive optional.

The skin dive is not and never has been optional. It is required.

dannobee:
YMCA will allow an upgrade to a CMAS card (it could depend on the instructor though, as CMAS one star goes over basic deco procedures).

It is not an upgrade. They are equal certifications. Any Y diver can get a CMAS card by sending a copy of their Y card and the certification fee to the National YSCUBA office. It is not dependent on your instructor. YMCA Open Water also goes over basic deco proceedures. Doesn't everyone?

here is an opportunity to get a rare c-card:

Are they as rare as an honest politican? :wink:

I'd like to do the course or at least audit a Y course but 1500 miles is a bit far for me..

Back
Top Bottom