YMCA Open Water Limitations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Most agencies will have a maximum depth limit of 60 feet during the OW training. Once a person is OW certified most agencies will strongly recommend not diving deeper than 60. I believe the YMCA program follows these guidlelines.
you are correct sir.

Actually I think there are several people on this board who think of themselves as the Scuba Police, but I digress...

As mentioned, the OW depth limit is 60 feet. What happens if you go deeper? Well, since you got an OW fill, the air becomes toxic at 60.3 fsw, until you learn special breathing techniques in AOW. Ok, I am kidding. Nothing really happens.

It is good to stay shallow at first, until you gain confidence and skill in your newly discovered habitat. There is plenty to see at 30 feet, you won't be bored, and nobody will think you are a sissy if that is as deep as ever go.

That being said in NC there is some awesome wreck diving deeper than 60 feet. If you are into that sort of thing work your self up to it slowly, they will wait for you.

Most important thing is to know your limits and approach them with respect, and have FUN.

Just curious, but didn't your instructor tell you about the 60 foot recommendation in class?

Drew, He may have told us about the 60' recommendation. I just don't remember it. ...and in the Yscuba text book, I can't find anything on it, which seems strange.

Mike

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom