Yoke To Din Conversion.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

a4lod

Reaction score
Is it hard to convert one's yoke reg to DIN? I have two Scubapro MK20's and am considering converting them to DIN. My LDS wants $100.00CDN + tax to convert them each - including parts. I can buy the 2 DIN adaptors for $128.00CDN. I am pretty good with my hands and while I would never adjust a reg myself, I do feel quite capable of converting it myself. Is there more to it than it looks? Would this be recommended? Comments? Thanks.

It is not overly hard but requires a little attention to detail and some tools. The o-ring that seals the HP end of things will need to be properly lubricated and the new DIN adaptors will need to be properly torqued to 30 N-M or 266 inch pounds with a 6mm hex attachment.

If you have a suitable torque wrench, a socket/6mm hex attachment, and some christolube, the job is pretty simple. If you have to buy the tools, it's cheaper to have the LDS do it.

Getting the old yoke off in the first place can be a problem if the yoke retainer has been overtorqued or has any degree of corrosion (both are common problems). A yoke nut socket and a padded vice are ideal for loosening the retainer, but the socket is a specialty tool and a little on the spendy side for one job. A large Cresent wrench can be used if the retainer is not too tight but if it is, you can end up damaging the retainer.

True... and it's a rather easy thing to do, however, why would you buy the parts and pay an extra $28 to do it yourself?

(btw... are you buying the adapters from an authorized dealer?)

Maybe I'm missing something......

Ben

OneBrightGator:
True... and it's a rather easy thing to do, however, why would you buy the parts and pay an extra $28 to do it yourself?

(btw... are you buying the adapters from an authorized dealer?)

Maybe I'm missing something......

Ben

The LDS is charging $100 EACH for the 2 conversions while he can get TWO DIN conversion kits for a total of $128 saving $72.00.

But again whether he will save any money depends on how much he has to spend for the tools to do it right.

I would strongly advise against doing the job with eyeball calibration and a 6mm allen wrench. And the cost of damaging the old retainers if they are stubborn to remove can quickly outstrip the savings.

I see the DIN conversions now and then on E-bay and I assume they are available from other grey market sources as well.

The other option, and probably the best one is to talk to the shop. Since the shop has to disasemble everything anyway at annual service, I'd ask if they could just do it then and then only charge you for the parts. The dealer cost on the parts is also about half the suggested retail price and they do have a lot of room to move with regard to the dealer agreement and what they can charge for parts. If they are getting the labor costs on an annual service on two regs out of the deal, they can afford to give you a break on the DIN kits.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom