Yoke Vs Din (wave of the future?)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The Thermo Pro valves seem to work reasonably well with yoke regs at 3442 fills, but I have a friend with some & he did have more problems with O rings. He finally converted to DIN as a result, but I'll also note that he did it by buying a new reg & ordering it DIN to start with & he did not already own a bunch of yoke tanks.

But, based on his experience, if I were diving yoke with them I'd be sure to keep a few spare O rings on hand.

I wouldn't recommend that someone with a fair amount of existing gear convert to DIN. I was fortunate to buy several DIN tanks and a DIN reg years ago, and just keep adding to that equipment. My ponies are all still yoke (but that may change soon).

Not getting full fills on 3500 psi tanks is an issue one has to deal with based on local resources. The shop fills mine to the rated pressure, but out on the dive boat they are filled to 3200 psi (no big deal for me).

BKP:
Why don't you? I'm trying to find reasons *not* to convert (other then a proliferation of yoke usage at my 'local' sites (Keys / Bahamas / Carribean in general).

I'm told there's no problem with a 3442 psi on my Atomic B2 with a DIN (but they don't state the nominal and max rating with a yoke...

(sorry for the minor semi-hijack)

P.S. -- I've heard excellent things about the Thermo-Pro's.

Good question, I probably should have expanded on it.

I haven't converted for a number of reasons:

1) Some local boat diving I use their tanks, they are yoke. If I get the DIN -> Yoke converter, the first stage will constantly hit me in the head (I wear my tank rather high).
2) I keep going back and forth of getting doubles and if I do I'm not certain that it wouldn't be better to keep a single tank setup. If so, I may want that setup to be used for travelling, back to #1 :)

When I switch to DIN, I'm going to get my Z2 environmentally sealed, it's just that I don't _need_ to do all that now, so I'm holding off :)

Bjorn

Well the getting tanks filled to HP on boats is certainly a problem, but i'm converting to DIN atm anyway. More often than not I drive to dive sites and I can bring my own tanks or doubles, on the rare occasion I get to do some vacation diving, I bring lighter kit anyway thats just a scubapro yoke reg and bc, so at that point its hardly an issue.

The part I dont understand is how come more regulator manufactures dont give you the choice between the 2 instead of making Yoke standard and having to purchase A conversion kit ? Most of the higher end stuff you have the choice but mid range is usualy Yoke.

I find that if you buy overseas there is far more DIN available, I think thats a north american thing.

NorthernShrinkage:
The part I dont understand is how come more regulator manufactures dont give you the choice between the 2 instead of making Yoke standard and having to purchase A conversion kit ? Most of the higher end stuff you have the choice but mid range is usualy Yoke.
At the local LDS where I purchased my AquaLung, I believe I couldv'e ordered one DIN ready. I bought my from "in stock", and it was the more common Yoke. I'd rather have a conversion kit though ... that way, the dive shop could switch it back and forth for me, depending on where i'm diving.

I am not sugesting that divers with a number of yoke regs convert to DIN.
What I am sugesting is that resorts have DIN valves on their tanks and put in the $15.00 converter when they need to use that tank for a yoke fitting.

Yes Yoke these days is more of a North American thing.
Why the manufacturers, and shops are still pushing this inferior technology on to the US diving public amazes me.

I have both DIN and Yoke connectors for one of my regs, takes about 3 minutes to swap, while the others are DIN.
I need yoke for the caribean.
If you have DIN valves on the tanks then the converter to yoke is only $15.00 retail.

NorthernShrinkage:
Regs made by most companies are offerred in both DIN and yoke models, they are just not always stocked or cataloged that way. And you can't blame the company or the LDS as yoke connections are much more common and are still more or less the standard in North American recreational diving as well as in most of the dive destinations in this hemisphere. If you dive the carribean, a DIN reg will usually result in you having to tolerate a DIN to yoke adapter.

DIN equipped regs cost slightly more than their yoke counterparts in most cases, but the price is still cheaper than buying yoke and converting or adapting so if you really want DIN as the LDS to special order you one that is DIN equipped to start with.

------

I use DIN for my technical diving and I greatly prefer it due to the elimination of the yoke knob, which seems to magnetically attract nets, lines, etc. That said however, the "DIN is stonger" argument really does not have much merit unless:

1. You are scootering through caves and plan on impacting the ceiling now and then or,

2. You use high pressure tanks (over 3442 psi).

The real advantage of DIN my opinion is much better streamlining.

Contrary to popular opinion, the o-ring on a yoke connection is indeed fully captured just like it is in a DIN reg, the only difference is in how it is captured. With a yoke connection, if it is properly manufactured and in good condition, you will have metal to metal contact between the first stage orifice and the valve face as long as the yoke knob is snug and the connection will leak if the knob is not secure. However the same thing is also true with a DIN fitting.

The difference is in the location of the o-ring. When a yoke connection is loose, the o-ring (since it is contained in the valve) will usually extrude out of it's seat in the valve and "blow out". When a DIN fitting is loose, the connection will still leak, but the o-ring (since it is contained in the regulator itself and is not blocking the path of the leaking air) will not be blown out of its seat.

Above water this makes no real difference in safety as if the o-ring is blown out, you remove the reg, reseat the o-ring and reconnect the regulator, or worst case replace the o-ring from a save a dive kit and reconnect the regulator. With a DIN connection you save about a minute as all you have to do is tighten the connection.

Underwater is a different story as if, for example, the yoke connection on your depressurized deco bottle comes loose, and the o-ring unseats when you repressurize the reg, it is a major PITA to reseat or replace an o-ring underwater and first stage flooding is guarenteed to be significant. In contrast if your DIN connection on your deco bottle comes loose, you tighten it and flooding, if any, is usually very minor and the reg is usuable in seconds. On the other hand in my experience DIN connections seem to be more prone to loosening themselves on unpressurized regs than yoke connections as I have had it occur on DIN regs but have never had it happen on a yoke reg. The wheel on a DIN reg is ammenable to being moved if brushed by an arm etc, while a yoke connection is quite tight at the start of the dive and gets tighter in cold water as the yoke contracts slightly at the lower temps. Often after a cold water dive they can be hard to intentionally loosen and remove by hand.

In my opinon, the poor reputation of yoke connections and the whole "uncaptured o-ring" myth is the result of two things:

1. Older lightly constructed 2250 psi yokes used on 3000 psi tanks where they stretched slightly when pressurized resulting in the loss of metal to metal contact.

2. The increased potential for the mating surface on the valve face of a yoke valve to become damaged over the life of the valve compromising the metal to metal contact.

So the problems with yoke valves and o-ring extrusion are due to innappropriate usage and poor maintenence rather than an "uncaptured" o-ring design. With modern yokes, improper usage is not an issue as currnent yokes are constructed so that they will tolerate 4000 psi before they begin to stretch and most are rated to 3442 psi whether the manufactuerer sanctions their use to that pressure or not. In the case of poor maintenence, stupidity it is still going to be a problem even with a DIN valve, the differnece is that if you drop a DIN valved tank on its valve the odds are good that the female connection will be bent rendering the valve unusable and therby protecting the moronic diver from actually diving with a potentially damaged valve. With a yoke valve in the same situation it would be possible for a moronic diver to fail to inspect the valve face and detect significant damange, start the dive and experience a catastropic gas leak in the middle of the dive. So DIN is clearly a better option for divers who are total idiots.

The only real downside to a DIN valve in my opinon (other than limited travel availability) is that they hold water much more readily that a yoke valve and offer greater potential for water dropplets to be introduced into the tank during a fill so somewhat greater care is required in the filling process.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom