You damaged your BCD HOW??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks folks .... will let everyone know soon how, and if, the repair holds. The unit is at our local shop and I didn’t take a picture before dropping it off. Their tech pro made the repair this AM but wants to allow plenty of time for it to set/dry before testing it. I too had thought about an inside/outside aquaseal patch given the location, we’ll see what he did.

What a crazy thing to happen. The hole, while small, really looked like a miniature burn hole which we couldn’t imagine until we thought about her Flip macro, the sun, and where things were in the truck between dives....

Thanks folks .... will let everyone know soon how, and if, the repair holds. The unit is at our local shop and I didn’t take a picture before dropping it off. Their tech pro made the repair this AM but wants to allow plenty of time for it to set/dry before testing it. I too had thought about an inside/outside aquaseal patch given the location, we’ll see what he did.

What a crazy thing to happen. The hole, while small, really looked like a miniature burn hole which we couldn’t imagine until we thought about her Flip macro, the sun, and where things were in the truck between dives....
I guess it's a good thing that it was the BCD in the way instead of a tank full of compressed gas.

The hole you describe sounds like one you get when a smoker walks by and accidentally flicks their hot ash on you.

Aquaseal
Seamgrip
Aquasure
Stormsure
freesole
Shoe Goo

All good products that if applied correctly can create a durable repair. Some thicker/thinner, some take longer to dry/cure, but all are fairly good.

-Z

If the BC will function safely ( a slow dribble is annoying but not unsafe) then I would have no trouble patching a few a small holes on a BC. I repaired a Scuba pro bc with matching puncture holes through the front and out the back of the BC several years ago and it has not leaked (there) since (using aquaseal on the outside).

Friend had his jeep catch fire in the center console. Caught it in time with no real damage. What started the fire? A bottle of water. Acted as a magnifying glass. Yes, strange stuff happens. I've heard of other accidental magnifying glass fires as well.

Is it the same stuff as Aquaseal?
Yup. Same product (polyurethane glue), slightly different name in different places.

It's a godsend for repairing anything rubber, neoprene or trilam. I've even used it for making the loop on shooting head flylines, it's that strong.

And when your drysuit gets worn and starts leaking, this is what you want. I've heard people joking that they have a tetralaminate suit: a trilam with a layer of Aquasure/Aquaseal on the outside.

I had a wing punctured and did repair it with tear aid, it’s been a year ago and still holds.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom