You guys caught my attention!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am with Simmonbeans, the best way to enjoy a twin hose is in the company of a full set of vintage "type" gear.

Minimalism does not require vintage compliance, lol, it is using any type of gear, just as little of it as possible following the old ways of no BC, no equipment reliance.

The reason I like a wing vs the common vests and especially jackets and similar modern BCs is that the tank is held away from your back and have a sloppy, squishy fit with vests and jackets. The wing in contrast on a simple metal plate with a single piece Hog harness secures the tank very close to the back, does not slop and squish around, provides a clean front and a streamlined configuration. Often we refer to mixing of vintage gear with modern gear as being "eclectic. Both Luis and I are "eclectic" in that we are often seen sporting modern gear types of scuba gear with a twin hose reg.

So, the point is that you can enjoy twin hose diving at multiple levels from full vintage to essentially a completely modern rig.

There is nothing in diving like the freedom of a simple vintage rig, no BC, military harness (available from Simmonbeans), it is truly the 3D experience many of us got into diving to enjoy.

At least twice, especially in the early 80s, I was refused to dive with what is now known as a wing/BP. In the 70s nobody cared, we were into having fun, then PadI took over and the nannification of scuba diving began at full force.

Make PadI squirm, irritate GUErus, dive vintage, dive scuba minimalism.

N

Last edited:
Luis, the problem I have seen with jacket style BCs (newer styles) is because you must leave them somewhat loose or inflated they will squeeze you too much. Loose, they will tend to float up some, seperating the tank and reg from the body and causing the reg to breath hard. The only jacket style BCs I have used my DH regs on have been while loaning the reg to others, I only use mine with an old BP or a back inflate BC. Thinking back on it, all of them were overweighted which required a lot of air in the BC, something a vintage diver would not likely have problems with. One particular diver kept complaining about how hard my PRAM breathed and I could not figure out what he was complaining about until it dawned on me that when he was horizonal, I could actually see between his back and the tank through the arm holes of the BC. With the BC snugged down and properly weighted I can see them working fine.

That is a problem.
A poorly fitting or poorly design BC will be always a problem.

As I mentioned, I did modified my vest and it is one of the best rigs I can think of. It doesn't look very vintage but it feels as vintage as an old back pack.

Most of the shelf vest BC have a lot of room for improvement, but they are not totally hopeless.

The one advantage of a vest (if it fits well) is that on the surface you can float with your head almost a foot above water...that adds to great visibility...from the diver and of the diver. To me that major reason for any flotation device is on the surface anyway.

OR, you could just dive it just as the regulators were dived, vintage.
gettingready-1.jpg

You like those bathing caps don't you...
I got one like the white one for Christine for the Bahamas.

Where are y'all finding those old fashioned swim caps?

72982062_o.jpg

It is sometimes amazing to me how the modern fluffy super padded BCs that people use today evolved out of this:

76917260_o.jpg

and this:

seatec.jpg

That said, lol, you should see my wife's super padded elevator button Dacor BC with mini plate and STA. It is a hybrid abomination.

Has anyone ever noticed how that the 50s, 60s and 70s were more modern than today?

N

I have no like or dislike, never wore one, don't intend to. It was just the female's head gear for, at least, the Sea Hunt Show. In fact, many times in the show, no exposure protection was used, like our dear vintage friends from Canada at Sea Hunt 50. Probably the most minimal outside of naked.
alexanddiana3_edited-1.jpg

I want one that says "Down with the Man" with hippie flowers or maybe "eh" or like that ! I will get a rainbow one for Rob since he already has flowers on his tanks!

N

Holy smokes you guys....thanks for taking the time to put up such great posts and fine replies to my questions. Good advice all!!! It seems I have a lot to learn but I think it's going to be fun...that's why were are here. :D
BTW...I am driving a Zeagle Ranger right now.. seems to be a good enough BC and I think it will work OK based on what I have read so far. I will have to pay more attention to how it actually sticks to my back on the next dive but I don't think it has been too squishy (technical term). Of course when I de-evolve over the next few years...I won't need no steenkeeng BC. :wink:
So, for the time being I am hunting for purchasing opportunities and I will keep you guys posted on my success.

Cheers,
Bill

For your shopping pleasure:
Vintage Caps

My wife and I are really laughing now.:rofl3: Thanx for that. We have a diver friend who is feeling a little down right now and we are going to send her the link.

Holy smokes you guys....thanks for taking the time to put up such great posts and fine replies to my questions. Good advice all!!! It seems I have a lot to learn but I think it's going to be fun...that's why were are here. :D
BTW...I am driving a Zeagle Ranger right now.. seems to be a good enough BC and I think it will work OK based on what I have read so far. I will have to pay more attention to how it actually sticks to my back on the next dive but I don't think it has been too squishy (technical term). Of course when I de-evolve over the next few years...I won't need no steenkeeng BC. :wink:
So, for the time being I am hunting for purchasing opportunities and I will keep you guys posted on my success.

Cheers,
Bill

Actually, the back inflate I dive with my DH is the Rangers little bother, the Scout. Kept snugg, the Ranger should do OK, I would add the crotch straps if you have not done so. The key here is the reg needs to be kept as close to your back as possible and the tank is worn a little lower than most keep their modern reg tank.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom