you know those little silicone baggies for cameras?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ann Marie

be happy
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Are we supposed to change those little silicone baggies each time we use our camera in the housing? I read the manual from Olympus and it seems like they encourage you to, but does anyone really do that?

I finally figured out why my 5060 wouldn't snap a picture while in its housing. It is sitting just a couple of mm too low. I stuck two of my business cards under the camera while it was in the housing, and viola....snap, snap, snap. Olympus is going to fix or replace the housing but after I FINALLY get to try out the camera while underwater!!!!

Anne Marie,
You came to one of the first So Cal Oly groups, right? I seem to remember you there...
Anyway, I bought the dessicant packs in bulk from the link jcclink posted - it ends up a whole lot cheaper per unit to do that (something like $20 for 50 packs, or $50 for 200 of them - actually sold as 4 packs of 50 each). So, at the last Oly group meeting, I brought the 4 packs and sold them there for what it cost me - I sold out quickly, so I was planning on doing it again. It seemed like a good service for us all to "co-op" on the bulk stuff and benefit.
We're talking about having a meeting again in November, and I will be brining the packs again. I think it came to $13 for 50 of them, once shipping and tax were included, so if you want to wait until then I'll have them there.
To answer your question, it is recommended that you change the dessicant every time you open your housing. However, there have been antecdotal stories where people diving here in So Cal have not done this and haven't had problems (I think Debbie said she went through 50 dives before changing her dessicant pack out). It's probably more imperative in the humid, tropical environments where the air in the housing is more wet to start with. That's where the preservesmart packs are nice - they have an indicator that lets you know when they're 'full' and should be changed, plus they are rechargeable, so you can bake and reuse them. That way you're not throwing them out before they need to be gotten rid of.
I hope that makes sense and helps.
Stacy

Thanks for the information! I did go to one of the first meetings and hope that my schedule will eventually calm down enough so that I can make it on a routine basis. The preservesmart packs sound perfect. I'll try those. Thanks

I always use the same and had never any condensation problems, but I watch a couple of points:

- I leave the silicone bag on an electric heater for several hours and store bags in a well sealed jar or small plastic bag. Silicone can be dried if you heat it as far I know.
- I always load and store the camera in a cool environment (easy to do where I live). My idea behind it is to minimise temperature shock and lock a minimum amount of moisture inside housing.

It worked so far.
Cheers

Just to add another point - I think it is crucial to have good airflow around the silica gel pack. I had used a small strip of ladies panty liner (as recommended by Dee at al. to absorb any droplets) under my Oly c5000 and found the Oly silica gel pack to be a very snug fit due to this restriction. However, I had constant condensation problems until I repositioned the dessicant sachet to the front of the housing closer to the lens. No problems since - the only conclusion I can make is that the panty liner restricted airflow around the sachet??? Maybe??... Anyhow, now it works fine, but I had some very misty, blue photos in Palau at Blue Corner due to condensation. Fine - this gives me an excuse to go back there again!

Wiggsy.

I always put in a fresh silica pack each time I seal the housing.

However, I don't throw them away after using them. I recharge them by baking for an hour at the lowest setting on our oven (200 F). As soon as they are cool enough to touch, I seal them in a ziplock bag until the next time I need to use them. I've used some of my silica packs 6-7 times now and they continue to work fine.

-Mark

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom