you lost your dive mask now what?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I reach into a thigh pouch and pull out my backup mask, then I try to go after the one that fell off or was blown off or was kicked off, my face. I always carry a backup. There are a lot of ways to add ballast beyond hanging lead that can serve a very useful purpose. I need my mask to read my gauges. In the case of a mask loss, I can see enough to get to the surface and a boat, not it might not be the right one.

There was a recent thread similar to this where I don't think anyone writing there had lost a mask or knew someone who had lost one while diving... Mask malfunction did happen, but also rare and usually manageable...

I've had 2 or 3 mask straps/buckles break while donning the mask, but never during a dive. I'm curious as to how difficult it is to grab a faulty mask before it falls off. Anyone who's mask strap has broken or who had the mask kicked off have any input? You'd think you could grab it before it falls, hold it on your face and end the dive, but I don't know.

I recently added a compact spare mask (and pocket) to my kit for just such an event. I've never lost a mask yet (knock on wood!) but I decided it was something I should start doing, just in case I (or a buddy) do ever have such an issue.

Carrying a spare mask seems like a great idea for serious scuba dives. We offer a compact mask that we think is perfect for freediving and scuba. The mask is extremely low volume which is most important for deep freedivers.

However, it also has some features that may make it particularly good for a spare mask application.

The MAKO Spearguns Minimus mask has a somewhat unusual method of attaching the mask strap to the mask. The strap and buckles are NOT connected to the mask frame.

Instead, the mask strap is securely attached to robust "tabs" which are integrated into the external mask skirt. This allows the skirt to be folded (or collapsed) onto the inside of the mask without putting ANY strain on the plastic buckles. This means the mask can be folded into a very small, flat package and should be ideal for a spare to be carried in a pocket.

Compressing and folding a typical mask, which has the buckles attached to the outside of the rigid mask frame, makes the buckles vulnerable to impact and they may also limit the extent to which the mask can be folded over onto itself.

We have had very good feedback from a wide variety of divers who have found this mask comfortable, non-leaking and because the mask face plate is so close to the eyes, the visibility is essentially unlimited by the mask skirt- especially in the downward direction, where typical masks restrict vision.

The ultra low profile also makes the mask less likely to be knocked off in the first place!
:)

We sell direct, so don't be surprised when the mask is less than half of what you might find in a typical retail shop. Also, if it doesn't fit (or function) to your COMPLETE satisfaction, we accept returns!

Minimus "Mini" Freedive Mask

mmm-side-view_dtl.jpg
mmm-buckle-mount_dtl.jpg

MMM-2.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom