Young Diver with all gear and lobster license and spear gun!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mpegolo815

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hey guys,

Im a new(ish) diver, with 6 logged dives, and looking to get more experience, just have fun, occassionally get some lobsters and fish, and continue my hobby! I am open water certified, and looking for more dive buddies in the CT area. I have all my gear so Id like to use it, and I would like to have a few buddies to dive with to share the fun.

Figured this site can start some new connections!

Congratulations on starting diving. It's a great activity that can be extremely fulfilling.

I do have to suggest, however, that you hold off on spear-fishing and lobster catching until you have a bit more experience scuba diving, maybe at least 25 dives or so. Why? As a new diver, you're still focusing on working on your buoyancy and other underwater skills. You're also still increasing your comfort and experience underwater. By adding lobster-catching or spear-fishing this early (6 dives), you're adding a distracting new task that could negatively affect your basic underwater skills. It could also be dangerous to be that task-loaded, especially in an emergency.

I'm not trying to lecture; I'm just concerned about safety. Also, if you want to find buddies in Connecticut, you might find this forum helpful New England Lobsta Divahs .

Thanks for the reply Scuba_Noob! I agree with you 100%. however, Im still looking for people in my area to dive with! Id rather not go alone!

Welcome to diving! And yes, please do avoid diving by yourself. I'm of the opinion that no one should be diving alone, but I think EVERYONE around will agree that you should be with a buddy at your experience level.

As to dive buddies, my girlfriend and I recently moved up to the Middletown area from Florida and want to dive more, but we're not too clear on many spots up here, especially shore dives as we don't have a boat. So, if you want to dive anywhere and have ideas on spots, we can make time most weekends, let us know.

Hey Matt
My only beef about lobster diving together, is that I have to share the catch... I thought I saw the bugs jump right into your bag, but then realized you were just that good! Please do me a favor and leave a few bugs for me tonight! With all the lobsters you've caught so far... people would not believe there's a shortage in our area! See you tonight... :)

Back
Top Bottom