Your Best “eBay” Scuba Equipment Purchase!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I picked up a Dacor Diving Lung two hose reg with "Dial a Breath" for $85.00. It looks like brand new. Not so much as a scratch on it. I showed it to a guy who works on these things and he told me that is has probably never seen water.

Jim

New in Package Abysmal Adventure regulator for $128 - sold it used for $150 a few months later :wink:

I use e-bay frequently for a variety of purchases. Fortunately, my experiences have mostly very positive!

ScubaPro Jet Fins with one missing strap for less than $15. I was planning to replace the straps with spring straps anyway. Paid full price for the spring-straps, which was over twice the cost of the fins.

I bought my first wetsuit for $99 delivered. It was a 2 piece 7mil Seaquest. I dove that suit for a year until I realized Lake Superior is much to cold in March for a wetsuit. I then purchased a USIA drysuit with bag, undergarments, and inflator hose for $300. The drysuit looked like it had never seen water as it still had stickers on the bottom of the soles of the boots.

I've bought a lot of my gear on ebay. A year ago. All of it in excellent condition.. Most of it never used...
1 Scubapro Classic BC $125
1 Scubapro Mk18 with an R380 $240
1 Scubapro Mk20 with G250 $200
1 Scubapro Air 2 $90
1 Uwatec digital pressure gauge $100
1 Uwatec Digital bottom timer. $75

I just took the regs, BC and another BC with an additional air2 to the Scubapro shop to have serviced and MAN was I surprised! $350 to service the gear!!!

If you go to buy gear on Ebay...... Make sure it's either NOT SCubapro or it's such a great deal that you just can't pass it up....

The money you save now WILL absolutely be gotten back from you when you have the gear serviced...

Actually, my experience buying SP stuff has been different; I got a basically new mk15 for $90, and an almost mint BA 2nd stage for $56 and had the set up serviced for about $50. I have bid on a few air2s, but they have been selling for almost LP price on new ones. I bought this stuff mostly because I want to check out the older SP stuff which so many, let's say "senior" divers rave about.

My best e-bay purchace was a Bare D-7 Supra 7 mil neoprene drysuit. I bought it for $300. It fit perfectly, the seals were in excellent condition. it came with the bag to keep it in and the original owners manual. I bought the suit with the intentions of extending my dive season in the Great Lakes and only planned on keeping it until I could save up enough for a DUI Clx 50-50.
I dived the suit for one and a half years, bought my DUI and sold the Bare Supra on e-bay for $300. getting back my original investement :). The person I sold it to was planning on diving it until he could save up enough for a DUI. It also fit him pefectly :).

I did my research, asked a lot questions, and believe I was lucky with my purchase. I've heard about a lot of divers having worse luck with drysuit purchases on e-bay.

I believe in supporting my LDS. My DUI drysuit was purchased through them.

Mad_diver:
I've bought a lot of my gear on ebay. A year ago. All of it in excellent condition.. Most of it never used...
1 Scubapro Classic BC $125
1 Scubapro Mk18 with an R380 $240
1 Scubapro Mk20 with G250 $200
1 Scubapro Air 2 $90
1 Uwatec digital pressure gauge $100
1 Uwatec Digital bottom timer. $75

I just took the regs, BC and another BC with an additional air2 to the Scubapro shop to have serviced and MAN was I surprised! $350 to service the gear!!!

If you go to buy gear on Ebay...... Make sure it's either NOT SCubapro or it's such a great deal that you just can't pass it up....

The money you save now WILL absolutely be gotten back from you when you have the gear serviced...

Wow, sounds like your dive shop hosed you!!! Go to another one if possible! I have a few in my area, and if one cheated me like that I would never refer anyone or buy anything from them again. All the dive shops I go to I've been going to for over 20 years.

Next time try to get a price on labor per stage and parts before handing them your gear. Demand that ALL parts that have been replaced (down to the last O ring) be save so you can see the work done.

Warranties only cover about $8-$20 worth of parts...you should still pay the same for labor...if you don't...change shops!

I have been a fairly frequent buyer and seller on eBay with 65 transactions to date, about half sales and half bid/purchases. Recently I have sold off the wetsuit and split fins that were sold to me when I took the OW class three years ago. Both the fins and the 3 mm full suit were in really good condition after just 30 dives, but I wanted a smaller size wetsuit and I wanted to go to full foot fins. I happily got decent prices on very servicable equipment. This paid for a large share of the cost of the new wetsuit and fins, rather than having them sit in a closet collecting dust.

However, I am not buying any scuba gear on eBay that I depend on for staying alive/unbent/uninjured, such as a BC, regulator, console or dive computer.

You need to be knowledgable about what you are bidding on, what a fair price will be, and you should only bid on items listed by sellers that have numerous sales with only positive feedback.

Back
Top Bottom