Your deepest depth

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Whale Whisperer:
I've been down to 201' with only air and a single AL80! :11: Can't say that I'm proud of it, I was inexperienced (my 16th dive) and had total trust in my dive buddy at a site I wasn't familiar with. We were doing a wall dive in Guam at about 120', and he went down to check out a huge sea fan so I followed him. When I got close to him I started to gag and heave. When my breakfast came up, and at the same time my head was spinning, my first thought was W*F!?!?! I looked down at my SPG and it read 201'! :spike: I was so narced that I thought to myself "Whoa... we shouldn't be here... I think we should go up...I think I'll tell him". So I signaled my buddy about our depth and to go up to a shallower depth, but He signaled down to go deeper and so I reponded with the bird and started to acend. He shrugged and followed soon after. I wanted to kill him! :redhot:

Yep, if your SPG was giving you depth readings, you were definetely narc'd... :wink:

Good response btw.

Oh, and for the record, yeah I've done the stupid "follow a buddy and go much deeper than we had any busy going given my certification and level of experience. In retrospect, it's not something I'm proud of and that's the reason I didn't post my deepest depth.

One of my favorite quotes as it pertains to SCUBA is still "You don't know what you don't know and what you don't know can kill you."

Whale Whisperer:
I've been down to 201' with only air and a single AL80! :11: Can't say that I'm proud of it, I was inexperienced (my 16th dive) and had total trust in my dive buddy at a site I wasn't familiar with. We were doing a wall dive in Guam at about 120', and he went down to check out a huge sea fan so I followed him. When I got close to him I started to gag and heave. When my breakfast came up, and at the same time my head was spinning, my first thought was W*F!?!?! I looked down at my SPG and it read 201'! :spike: I was so narced that I thought to myself "Whoa... we shouldn't be here... I think we should go up...I think I'll tell him". So I signaled my buddy about our depth and to go up to a shallower depth, but He signaled down to go deeper and so I reponded with the bird and started to acend. He shrugged and followed soon after. I wanted to kill him! :redhot:

I was scared just reading this. That is frightening. ON your 16th dive? You are very lucky to be here. Gaging and heaving thru your reg at 201 ft must have been the worst feeling? That is truly scary.

If new divers are reading this -just because a diver survived that does not mean you will. 200 ft for ANY diver is, regardless of experience, very very deep. Too deep

65M/ 213ft, HMS Prince of Wales, South China Sea...

Good job! Good times:D
Rick Murchison:
The deepest I got on my last dive (last Sunday) was 15'.
Bottom time was 87 minutes.
We saw *tons* of neat critters and had a marvelous time.
Rick

When I asked my OW instructor what the deepest he dove, he got angry and told me it was none of my business. At the time I thought it was a weird response. Now I understand.

124, but who's counting.

Rick Murchison:
The deepest I got on my last dive (last Sunday) was 15'.
Bottom time was 87 minutes.
We saw *tons* of neat critters and had a marvelous time.
Rick

My last dive had a max depth of 20 ft with an average of about 15 and a BT of 83 minutes. We still had plenty of gas left in those little single tanks but I haven't been doing a lot of diving and my back was starting to hurt and my left fin was pinching my big toe. LOL

Why your Instructor angry:shakehead you should asked what is my maximum depth?
del_mo:
When I asked my OW instructor what the deepest he dove, he got angry and told me it was none of my business. At the time I thought it was a weird response. Now I understand.

124, but who's counting.

You people should see Aliens of the Deep by James cameron to look at what deep really means 3000 m+ on bathyscopes. Its a really alien world out there with sightless crabs and shimps living on chemosysthesis.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom