Your deepest depth

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

padiscubapro:
if you are going to correct someone at least be correct in doing so

You made a mistake common to those that don't understand diiving physics... depth (for diving applications) is a unit of pressure NOT length.. you used a length conversion..

Hmmmm... I believe what you intended to say was something like this:

Depth is a measure of distance (see your dictionary, mine were Funk & Wagnalls and a Webster) but divers actually use SPG's which measure pressure and convert it to an equivalent depth measurement.

By the way, I was disappointed to find that my computer is set to assume I'm diving in fresh water, thus it over-estimates depth when I dive in salt water. I guess I've really been to 200 ft... just close.

Whale Whisperer:
Spearfishing with SCUBA gear is just plain unsportsman like :wink:
Yep... I always chide myself as I'm lifting another succulent piece of fresh grilled snapper with my fork... downright shameful, it is. :D
E

126'

Just touched the depth to add a deep dive to my logbook, plus it was 49 degree's so I didnt want to stay to long. Came up to about 80' after that for a bit, then progressed upwords... ended up with a pretty long multi-level dive out of the thing.

Was in freshwater, nothing to see so no reason to stay down there. Had no problems at all with the depth though.

Actually no, I said what I mean.. With regards to diving depth IS a unit of pressure, it has no CONSISTENT correlation to an actual LINEAR distance (hence the different standards) in other uses it might be a distance but for diving its strictly a unit of pressure.. The specific gravity of water varies (which changes the "depth" as does temperature..

Even when measured by things like sonar, distances don;t corespond to the same linear distance on land, since water densitys vary with composition and temperature (and there can be layering) which would chnage the measured distance with each zone it passes though..

There was no attempt to make a depth measurement equal a linear measurement.. The units might look the same but they are not equivalent..

If you look at the standards its referenced to the specific gravity of water, no reference to any length..

Dive tables are based on PRESSURES not "length" depths, thats why it really doesnt matter if a computer is calibrated for fresh water or salt water, the tables will come out based on the measured pressure (using whatever standard the unit uis calibrated for).. If depth wasnt a unit of pressure, altitude tables would not be easily calculated..

drbill:
Hmmmm... I believe what you intended to say was something like this:

Depth is a measure of distance (see your dictionary, mine were Funk & Wagnalls and a Webster) but divers actually use SPG's which measure pressure and convert it to an equivalent depth measurement.

By the way, I was disappointed to find that my computer is set to assume I'm diving in fresh water, thus it over-estimates depth when I dive in salt water. I guess I've really been to 200 ft... just close.

I love reading the deepest depth..and the accompaning excuses. Mine is simple...134 fsw...and it was because it was REALLY cool there. That being the best argument I've seen for narcosis...since I didn't realise I had hit my "deepest" til I was logging. It was beautiful....The Caissons in Los Angelos....amazing dive. Second deepest was 132 fsw in Cozumel..and was just for the sake of hitting that mark. Both cool dives. :)

padiscubapro:
Actually no, I said what I mean.. With regards to diving depth IS a unit of pressure, it has no CONSISTENT correlation to an actual LINEAR distance (hence the different standards) in other uses it might be a distance but for diving its strictly a unit of pressure.. The specific gravity of water varies (which changes the "depth" as does temperature..
Even when measured by things like sonar, distances don;t corespond to the same linear distance on land, since water densitys vary with composition and temperature (and there can be layering) which would chnage the measured distance with each zone it passes though..
There was no attempt to make a depth measurement equal a linear measurement.. The units might look the same but they are not equivalent..
If you look at the standards its referenced to the specific gravity of water, no reference to any length..
Dive tables are based on PRESSURES not "length" depths, thats why it really doesnt matter if a computer is calibrated for fresh water or salt water, the tables will come out based on the measured pressure (using whatever standard the unit uis calibrated for).. If depth wasnt a unit of pressure, altitude tables would not be easily calculated..
Ahhh.... now we're talking about an area with true variability. The differences in linear and pressure depth are insignificant compared to the day-to-day differences in actual and pressure altitude. It's a good thing there's plenty of slop in the tables/deco algorithms, and our size makes measuring depth closer than the nearest foot or so, and altitude to the nearest thousand feet or so... moot.
:D
Rick

Rick Murchison:
My brother-in-law tells my favorite narcosis story - he was spearfishing on the Trysler grounds, about 130-140 FSW...
"I was stalking this grouper, and pretty soon I was a fish! Right up 'til I ran out of air..."
Rick

Mr. Limpet I presume?:D

I broke out of the 50's this year. I had one dive at 77, one at 95, one at 62, one at 89 and one at 83 this summer at the quarry. The viz clears up at about 65 feet, but it's c-c-c-COLD down thar! (42 was the coldest temp)

zorglub8433:
Hi,

French divers often dive deep with air :shakehead. My level, for example, allows me to dive up to 60 meters (150ft) with air. We have a lot of walls and wrecks in the Med sea you can dive deep. Near Marseille, there's a small archipelago with so nice walls coming from the surface up to 65 - 70 m (180ft).

That's very common to dive up to 40 or 50m, even if you're CMAS 2* (~AOW) with a CMAS 3* to watch you :wink:
I must correct your calculations...60m is 196 feet, and i have also been diving in France, and they do allow the mentioned depth.
my deepest dive is over 200ft, dont wanna brag, just wanna let you know, that in France, that is a legal depth for high certifications (CMAS P3 e.g.)
(http://www.metric-conversions.org/length/meters-to-feet.htm)

EDIT: sry for spam, I didnt notice that other members already mentioned that :(

my friend just died at 200ft doing a bounce dive my personal best is 150 feet 25min.

Well, I just did 230' at 2200 feet altitude. OK, class. How deep is that in salt water, sea level?

EDIT: Sorry, Big Diver, didn't see your post. Yes, diving deep just to set records without the proper training can end tragically. I'm sorry for your loss.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom