Your favorite app for predicting sea conditions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

doctormike

ScubaBoard Supporter
Staff member
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Hi, just thought I would check in with the crowd here for recommendations.

I dive locally (NYC area), and we are always trying to guess the conditions for the weekend - wind speed and direction, wave height and interval. Blowouts are common, but it's really helpful for all of the logistics and planning to have a good guess before the morning of the dive. I understand that this is often something that you can't predict ahead of time and we often just take a chance and head out anyway...

I have been using the Fishweather app, but I have heard that there may be better options.

Any thoughts?

I use the NOAA buoy data center once you correlate what the buoy report says compared to what you see at the dive sites it gets easier to understand what the report means and can then make the call to even go. I also use webcams they are all over the place now and it gives you a real time picture of what's going on.

I've found that most of the swell models are correct about half the time. Before going out the door I check out the various live beach cameras in my area. I've aborted more dive days than I've gone out before opening my front door.

Thanks for all the replies..! Playing around with Windfinder, not sure I see how to get wave height and intervals.

IMG_4220.PNG
Thanks for all the replies..! Playing around with Windfinder, not sure I see how to get wave height and intervals.

I just check The Weather Network on the internet for wind speed and direction. Sometimes I just look out the window at the ocean. But alas, we will be moving within a year or so.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom