Your favorite "dry" snokel?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It's was my contention that, should one happen to end up in nasty seas and higher than wanted waves, a dry snorkel would prevent the unexpected and accidental aspiration of water if a wave broke over the diver while s/he was inhaling.

Had that happen once, and it did.

I must admit that I own the SeaQuest Sidedraft. I bought it mostly because I liked the comfy-bite mouthpiece, bendy barrel, purge, and little vents that keep most splashes out. In fact, it's overkill for me, as I don't snorkel much since I took up diving. But it looked cool in the store, and I didn't want the brick on my mask like other dry snorkels. Looking back, I should have just gotten a regular old j-snorkel.

Mike

I am with The Kraken on this one.... I bought an Ocean Master dry snorkel and I only bring it out with me if there is significant chop. It really does stay completely dry on the surface, but it is fairly large and not worth the hassle in calm seas. I bought a quick detach snorkel keeper to allow me to take it off under water but it was too big for my BCD pocket, however it fits in my drysuit thigh pocket just fine. Stays in my gear bag on the boat most of the time.

aeonflux10:
My husband and I are going to start scuba classes in a couple of weeks, and we are looking into snorkels. We are interested in a "dry" snorkel, ie, one that seals up when you go under water. The only model we've seen so far like this is the Oceanic Ultra Dry. We are going to buy new, but trying to conserve our $.
Any reviews? Other product recs?
Thanks in advance!
Chantal

I got my snorkle for Open water cert, and now use it only when I think I might have a surface swim, that's not often or I am going snorkeling. I would go along with the simple is better, on mine the purge valve got messed up on a dive ( was in sideways ) damn near drowned my *** trying to clear that damn thing before I realized it didn't work.

Genesis Mojave dry snorkel and a quick disconnect.
Good for the pool, good for the lake when snorkeling, good for surface swims while scuba diving. My husband leaves his in the bag on dives, and I put mine under my BC cumberbund, just in case. The cap and purge valves can be removed for cleaning or replacement, the mouthpiece is comfortable.
Available through leisurepro.com at $18.95.

I am a fan of dry snorkels. I've had 2 of them, one was a clunky old USD Impulse, and the one I use now, which I've been using for at least 10 years without incident, which is a TUSA Imprex Hyperdry. I have no idea what it cost retail, as I was working as a DM at the LDS and got it on the cheap, but it has been great for surface swims when diving, and for plain old snorkeling when not diving. I love that I don't need more than a mouthful of air to clear it... a J-tube without a purge requires a good volume of air, and significant effort and forethought to clear completely.

Those who are telling you to reject the idea without consideration are just passing on their own prejudices without regard to why you want one or how you plan to use it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom