Your favourite second stage and *why?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It doesn't matter. Any high-end second stage from a reputable brand like Scubapro / Apeks / Atomic / Halcyon will work fine for everything from shallow reef dives through deep tech dives unless you have some really specialized requirements. Take your pick. They all breathe well as long as they're properly maintained, and you keep the gas density low (no deep air).

What actually matters is local availability of parts and service. And perhaps what your buddies are using so that you can borrow O-rings from them when yours blows out on the dive boat.

I don't think that the OP is about what's going to work or not, the question is what's your favorite. This is something individual and varies according to taste and personal preference. Atomic and Scubapro are best anyways. Apeks is distant third :p

For me, it has always been the Swedes and Poseidon -- along with the advantage of being able to service them myself --

the Cyklon (I have always preferred the metal version) -- for its size; breathability at depth; its venting to the side; the availability of spare parts, even for decades-old models; its amazing performance under freezing conditions, without ever having to pack grease or any other oozy crap into a first stage, paired with, variously, the 300 (2940 or 2980) "compensated" firsts, through the 2900s and 3960s, to even the Xstream Mk3;

the Jetstream -- great for rougher surf entries, with "on/off" switches, since mine are regularly set at the lowest end of cracking effort (and I prefer not to have a regulator in my mouth); ditto above, in terms of venting, and first stage pairings, etc -- the Thor through the Odin and Xstream; also, the Jetstream PP, the “positive pressure” model for the Atmosphere full-face mask, which ensures ample air circulation; a clear visor; an absence from headaches; and keeps the interior dry as a bone;

the Xstream -- also, for its breathability and diminutive size, along with its simple, basically Jetstream guts; and the capability of it being at least partially disassembled by hand . . .

For me, it's the G250V primary with an S600 (gen4) backup. Both breathe great, with my preference slightly for the G250V.
But I must say, the G260 has me intrigued.

Hey brother
I have all the parts you need for your 2100s. I have new pilot lever gaskets, main valves, lever gaskets seats.....
I have u cracked NOS housings, modules whatever you need.
Let me know
Tony
Hey Tony
Very kind offer... but I ended up selling all my Tekna 2100 regulators along with a box of NOS spares to a collector in the US.
I've decided to go down the Poseidon route for my high performance side exhaust regulator fix.
Thanks again

I think you guys pretty much listed all the second stages I like... We could go through the posts later on and compile statistics about which models come up the most often!

For me I lean towards good/great performers that are robust and easy to service, but others are favourites for other reasons.

5) The Jetstreams were the king in air delivery and robust as long as they are kept clean. I sold mine, but always have a soft spot for them. Don't like how they breathe at shallow depth though. Their cold water performance is in a league of their own.

4) Scubapro D-series and Dräger Shark: Lowest cracking effort in the D350/D400, yes. Overall, I personally I have not felt the groundbreaking difference, but am in awe of their engineering.

3) Mares Abyss and metal Proton 2nds that my buddies use. I have not owned one but I tried them, swapping at 60 feet and could not detect a groundbreaking difference in breathing between an Abyss and balanced seconds. Scubapro 156 and Conshelfs are a bit nicer of course, but Mares wins in cold water performance.

2) I really like the adjuster knobs in the Scubapro S600 and G500, as they simply would not foul with salt/sand/silt. G250 and G260: love their simplicity and performance of course, but they need a bit more care. The S620ti wins for me because it mimics the G260 and G250 (ease of service) but has a titanium barrell and is small. I like the VIVA vane on Scubapro...

1) Now I am back to titanium Atomics for logistics reasons (3 year nominal service interval). The floating orifice is more useful than I imagined. You can pick your front cover and exhaust deflector type. Atomic seconds have a similar adjuster assembly to the S600 that does not care about sand. Very smooth breather if adjusted right. Love the hose routing, love the corrosion resistance and light weight. The above regs are all "like", this one is "love".

I like how Apeks and especially Atomics share parts acoss the board and make logistics easy. On the other hand I like how Scubapro makes it a delightful challenge to sort out the parts for different models and appreciate evolution of reg design.

There are few things I don't like: While I miss the simplicity of my Apeks regs (and the same goes for most of the economy regs nowadays that are Apeks clones), the lack of a squared barrel makes it more of a nuisance to countertorque the hose with the jam nut to avoid having the barrel twist out of position. I guess I am too lazy to bother with that anymore.

Attachments

• IMG_2513.JPG
    IMG_2513.JPG
    67 KB · Views: 48
At the moment in order of my preference for best:

1. SP G260 (new possibly best ever)
2. SP G250 (old possibly best ever)
3. SP BA 156 CE with big valve (prettiest)
4. USD 1085 (most rugged and reliable of all)
5. AL Titan LX/Core/Helix type second stage (they just work with no fuss)

James

I had one
For me, it's the G250V primary with an S600 (gen4) backup. Both breathe great, with my preference slightly for the G250V.
But I must say, the G260 has me intrigued.

IMO equally tuned if I had to throw a number out I'd say a G260 breathes 5-8% better than the G250V, there's not much in it IMO.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom