Your most-unusual critter from the Andaman Sea

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bowmouth:
What about giant angler fishes like the green one at Elephant Head, the white one at Richelieu and the rust-red one at Western Rocky?
Do you mean the Frog fish?

I believe this white one at Richelieu is gone now.....

whitefrog.jpg

The red one at East of Eden (I think it was - I'd have to check) was there this year though in March...

redfrog2.jpg

redfrog1.jpg

redfrog3.jpg

I didn't see the green one ever....

Did you find those at Richlieu Kim?

First ghost pipefish I saw was at Richelieu Rock.

You know my fave critter, though? Not in SE Asia. My absolute favourite fishy delight is a juvenile spotted drum. Used to love seeing them when I worked in Utila.

Kim:
Do you mean the Frog fish?

I believe this white one at Richelieu is gone now....

I didn't see the green one ever....

Yes! Nice pics! The white one was 2 seasons ago at Richelieu Rock. The large orange one at Western Rocky in Myanmar and East of Eden in the Similans last season.
The green one was REALLY beautiful, two or three years ago at Elephant Head Rock in the Similans.:D

Just to add a few photos from my Feb trip to Richelieu/Similans.

Unknown Nudi(??) from Christmas Point, Saron Shrimp(Night dive at Koh Bon), Banded Snake, Ghost pipefish(at Richelieu) and Unknown blenny (anyone care to ID this one)?

Blueline

Quero,

Thanks mate.
Btw, I purchased the Reef Life of the Andaman CD by Nick Hope when I was in Phuket..shows some pretty weird reef life, i.e. squat lobsters(those must be rare(?)), swimming crabs etc.. I recommend watching that before anyone heads to Phuket/Similan/Surin/Burma. Excellent video.

Also, a slightly different question. Has anyone dived Koh Torinla recently? I would've loved to dive that site but it was closed. Supposedly it has the best staghorn corals in Thailand.

Has anyone dived Koh Torinla recently?

I'd like to know that too. I think The Junk was diving there last season, is that right Bowmouth? I dived at Torinla many times and it was (I would say) my favourite reef. Never had a bad dive there, always stretched the dive out as long as air allowed.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom