Your nausea cause and cure?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

headsqueeze

Reaction score
Hi,

What causes your nausea?

What nausea treatments (over the counter meds, herbs, Dr. Rx, nutrition, actions...) have you found to help you the most?

(I'm a Family Medicine MD who just completed a NAUI course, and am curious about your experience)

thanks.

I've tried everything and the only thing that works for me is the patch. Not crazy about the side effects but, it beats throwing up.

I get motion sickness in the backseat of cars, on boats, and sometimes on flights. I always use dramamine when I go diving and never vomit. Never tried anything else because I didn't want to risk the loss of the days dives.

BTW welcome to the board. :)

Three things, your inner ear, your eyes, and brain! When they are in conflict you get motion sickness! What works is different for a lot of folks from pressure to Ginger Snaps! I find you need to let your body go and not fight it, watch the horizon so your body knows its moving and can coordinate and synchronize what your eye sees and your inner ear feels! Motion! Get fresh air and realize the motion! For some lying down in a bunk with your eyes closed and feeling the motion is enough because you're only dealing with two of the three and what you see does not conflict with what your feeling! On the deck of a boat your eyes looking at the horizon tell your brain that you are moving and you can see and anticipate the next wave or swell and your inner ear agrees by the movement of the liquid in it! Without the inner ear doing its thing we would not be able to stand!

This is way drivers don't usually get sick! They know the motion that is coming and the brain excepts the curve or dip because your in control!

I have always had problems with motion/sea sickness since I was a kid. (Winding roads, weaving in and out of traffic, small to 40'+ boats in uneven swells, helicopters, small planes, uneven turbulence on large airplanes, carnival rides that go in circles, IMAX movies, the Bourne Supremacy movie.) My parents or my wife talking about my problem while in a car, on a boat or even driving to do some diving would cause me to feel nauseous. I use to always lose it when I surfaced on my first dive, so I always ate some crackers first. For me; Dramamine, Bonine worked well, Scoplamine worked better. I later discovered that my problem was relate to my sinuses being clogged - once while diving with a cold, I took Sudafed. Now I take a time released 12hr Sudafed when boating or diving, and use the nasal inhaler Afrin when flying. I have had zero problems in over 9 years.

Durinig redsea trips we learned about a drug called EMERAL a local brand,but since my wife always gets seasick on the first 2 or 3 days we gave it a try.
Worked like a charm,never sick anymore no dizziness or any other side effects sofar.
Don't know what you would call it(brand name) so maybe someone from the RedSea forum can help you out.

cheers,

Evert

I sometimes get sea sick on the boat after a dive while changing cylinders.
I found that lying in the water, holding the ladder with your legs and using the suit's buoyancy to keep you level, will make it go away.
After 5-10 minutes that way and I feel like new :)

As for Emeral, here's it's webpage, maybe someone has a similar composition like it.
http://www.eipico.com.eg/PRODUCT.ASP?id1=16&id2=2 &id4=1

Nice amount of caffeine.

Doing Judo. Or simply just do alot of tumble. After my first day of judo, I was dizzy for hours. After about 1 week, it was better. I think your body adapt to the motion better.

I think spending alot of time on a boat helps too. Your body develops that instinctive rhythmic motion to counteract the wave. And when you are on dry land, you still feel like you are on the boat... Maybe that's why they call it "sea leg"?

Well, I don't get motion sick (except once, in a Chinese restaurant in San Juan, Puerto Rico, but that's another story.) I do get nausea with CO2 retention, and I grit my teeth and wait it out. Ibuprofen helps with the headache, which seems to help the nausea, too.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom