Your Opening Description of this Thread/Forum

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Posting to these forums to some are not a formal activity, such as going to work. Instead it is a place to learn, to relax, to socialize, to go diving. Some folks have higher educations than others, yet the grammatical errors (I imagine) are NOT signifigantly less for those folks. My writing style is very relaxed, and I hope to convey that attitude with words I commonly use such as ya'll or figgered...yeah, its slang, and that is how I talk. Most folks write the way they talk and if a word is written that is mispelled, then it is probably because it is phonetically spelled out (try to read a first or second graders sentence). Guess, what we have been taught to SOUND IT OUT!

I agree that SOME use of proper grammer should be used, however, the more important issue is the message.

Now, my addition to pet peeves in grammer... Quotes (almost) ALWAYS go OUTSIDE punctuation. Example...Dave said, "I want to go diving."
Well, at least if you are on this side of the ocean, the English do it the other way 'round.

Good thread by the way, I am enjoying ya'lls grammer faux paws! LOL

Bren Tierney:
Might I just point out that there is, in both deed and fact, no such verb in the English Language as 'to systematize' !!!!

Please: DIR gets a hard enough time as it is with out you guys going 'Hollywood' for the masses!! Where do you get your grammar?? The Osbournes??

Aha! I knew it was only a matter of time before I saw you over on this side of The Pond, Bren.

Not enough to do over on Divernet?

:evilsmile Kidding!

Welcome to the Asylum. The inmates may be gramatically challenged, but they're friendly. wink

scuba_jenny:
I agree that SOME use of proper grammar should be used, however, the more important issue is the message.

OK, bearing the above in mind, the message being what? To use incorrect grammar and made-up words such as 'systematize'?

Now, my addition to pet peeves in grammer... Quotes (almost) ALWAYS go OUTSIDE punctuation. Example...Dave said, "I want to go diving."
Well, at least if you are on this side of the ocean, the English do it the other way 'round.

A brave stance, if I may say so: ALWAYS!? Surely that's predicated on where the quote appears within the structure of the sentence?

Good thread by the way, I am enjoying ya'lls grammer faux paws! LOL

I agree. Decent and worthwhile discussion is never a waste :D

Oh, and Hi Subby mate! Aye, D-net a tad stale at the moment.

Dive safe all.

Bren.

I can't believe people are still posting on this thread...

Go diving or something.

Walter:
Charlie,

What about the use of "of" when the writer means " 've"? That one makes me shudder. There is no proper use of "I could of" it is "I could've."

I could of course take exception to your post. wink :D

Bren Tierney:
A brave stance, if I may say so: ALWAYS!? Surely that's predicated on where the quote appears within the structure of the sentence?

AWWWhhh, taking words out of their context... Notice I said "(almost) ALWAYS," which is vastly different than "ALWAYS." For a general rule of thumb, keeping the punctuation inside the quote is safe..

Can we go divin' now?

Je comprends votre quiétude. Je vais donc m'exprimer dans ma langue maternelle pour ainsi minimiser le nombre d'erreurs et l'insulte envers la langue anglaise. Est-ce préférable???

Back
Top Bottom