Your Opening Description of this Thread/Forum

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Uncle Pug:
Which words were not made up?
I know the answer... I just want to see if you do.

Errr....a rather nebulous statement, that: 'Which words were not made up?' Being as there are over 1.5 miilion words in the English language in general and daily use (outside of the extra 750,000+ in use in the scientific sphere), might you like to give us a clue, or be a tad more specific as to which set of words you refer? Level the playing field that man! What are your terms of reference? Are we beginning at Beowulf and continuing through Chaucerian 'Middle English' of the Middle Ages and then, ahem, progressing to 'systematize', or do you have a more defined set of precepts in mind? Do tell.

And I should damned-well hope you do know the answer: you did, after all, set the 'question'! :D

scuba_jenny:
AWWWhhh, taking words out of their context... Notice I said "(almost) ALWAYS," which is vastly different than "ALWAYS." For a general rule of thumb, keeping the punctuation inside the quote is safe..

Can we go divin' now?

"'almost' ALWAYS" ?? Is there such a state?? Mixing absolutes (always) with conditionals (almost)?? :D

And yes, we can go diving now - I've got a ruck of diving coming up (to go with over 1,500 dives already done in 14 years of getting wet) in the shape of the Anglesey (island off North Wales) wrecks weekend, plus a three-dayer off the Sound of Mull, Scotland - another wreck tour with some scenic thrown in for good measure. Happy days! :D

Once again, fine people, dive safe.

Bren.

I have someone near & dear to me who ALWAYS uses the word ideal in place of the word idea. They speak this way & in turn, write this way. I have, on two occasions, explained the difference to this person. It has not helped. The second time I pointed this out, they got huffy. So I let it go...but it is very annoying. They also don't pronounce theater or library correctly.
Grrrrr
Everyone seems to have their own grammatical pet peeves and idiosyncrasies.

Hey, did I spell that last word right?

Uncle Pug:
This thread has been moved from the DIR forum, a no trolling zone established to discuss DIR diving methodology to the non-diving related forum.

Enjoy.

Thattle throe them off. Methinks.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom