Your Top 3 Advanced Questions.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

this should be covered in basic open water. but it'll do here :)

A lot of things should be, but they are not. Since most of the students are still pretty new divers, this is an opportunity to cover some basics and some of the next steps.
There have been many threads ripping on AOW (and basic OW training) and others which present ideas on what an advanced course should truly be.

I'm just compiling info for the evolution of this particular class. Some of these answers will hopefully enhance the course material and final exam.

He's just doing research, not trying to get SB posters to write his test. I assume this course covers OW and AOW, correct? Students do not begin the class already certified? And, is your final going to be comprehensive? IOW, can the questions be on material covered in OW, but possibly important enough to warrant being on the final? If so:

1. What are the most common factors apart from dive behavior associated with DCS?
2. How do you calculate SAC, and how would you use that calculation to predict minimum amounts of gas for a safe ascent from (X) feet?
3. Why does the NBA continue to ignore the San Antonio Spurs even though they are clearly the best team with the best record and, in fact, set an example for what professional sports franchises should be? Is it because they don't have any preening, leering, sneering ego-maniacal stars or because San Antonio is the smallest TV market in the NBA?

this should be covered in basic open water. but it'll do here :)

Well, it's not covered in the PADI curriculum anyplace, and I haven't seen much mention of gas planning other than "thirds" in the DSAT materials I've looked at, TDI's either.

Boyle's Law and how it applies to many different aspects of diving.

Have them demonstrate a solid grasp by explaining how this fundamental Law impacts such things as dive planning, buoyancy, decompression theory, regulator design and function, DCS/AGE, etc., there are lots of applications.

If your students can give just a couple logical examples, they will be LIGHT YEARS ahead of their peers.

Best wishes.

1. How deep should I go?
2. How long should I stay?
3. How much gas should I take?

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I already have written the first draft of the test, and have taught the course for a couple of years now. It continues to evolve and so I started the thread out of interest to see what kind of ideas people have. I may incorporate some ideas into the course and into the test if its not already been covered.

It's not appropriate to spell out the entire course content, but it is a very complete course which incorporates a number of concepts borrowed from numerous influences from over the years here on SB as well as from personal experience. The framework of the course is still an intro to 18 specialties, but the nuts and bolts incorporate many concepts which should have been addressed during basic OW, some of which are named in the original post.

Most of the students are OW certified already, but OW certification is not a prerequisit for the class. Scuba I (basic OW class and pool) is a pre-requisit. Students must become OW certified before they are allowed to join the rest of the class for the AOW dives.

Here are three research questions for your most annoying students. Make sure to instruct them to read ALL relevant threads on SB:
1. What is better, a jacket BC or a backplate/wing?
2. Should I use a spare air?
3. I'm thinking of buying scuba gear at an online shop. Is this a good idea?

The thing that I've seen missing is actual in water proficiency.

Safe diving techniques, good team / buddy skills, situational awareness. If they can do gas planning, can / do they actually dive the plan. Do they check their SPG at proper intervals? Do they consider their buddies requirements? Do they know where their buddy is when in the water? Are they putting themselves in a place where _they_ are easy to locate by their buddy? Are their ascents / descents controlled and can they stay with their buddy _during_ both? If night diving was part of their AOW, do they have good light habits? Proper light signalling, not blinding their buddy etc.

The only theoretical would be: Can they properly calculate rock bottom for both themselves & their buddy given tank sizes and gas consumption rates.

Great feedback.
I've borrowed Lamont's rock bottom presentation. I will add some calculations to the final. The presentation also gives a pretty solid overview of Boyle's Law.

Its a geographical challenge to get students more proficient in the water. Enthusiasm is a product of education, so I expect them to go out and dive, practice, and pursue more knowledge and education. I expect them to practice good habits.

Reading the compass, very hard for many people and should be practiced way more than it is.

Have them explain why the Chart on KR 1, question 5, is the key to all of Scuba diving. If they REALLY understand all that comes from the chart, then they know the basics of:

a. Buoyancy compensation;

b. Safe ascents;

c. Safe descents;

d. Gas management; and on and on.

This could be either a multiple choice or essay question (but much better as an essay question!).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom