Your Top 3 Advanced Questions.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Okay, halemano; maybe I am not remembering the dive perfectly. I know we went to 130; I know we saw garden eels, and I remembered them as being the deepest thing we saw, but I could be wrong. It was over five years and 900 some-odd dives ago!

Reef's End | Maui Scuba Dive Sites from B&B Scuba

B&B:
DIVE SITE DETAILS (Reef's End)
Min Depth:...............................40 feet
Max Depth:..............................130+
Scuba Diving Visibility:..............100+ feet
Current:..................................Slight Currrent
Experience Level:.....................Beginner
Type of dive:............................Mooring (edit; "Anchor" not allowed for over a decade)
GENERAL DIVE SITE INFO
Reefs End is an excellent dive. The top of the finger lies just below the waterline and drops down in terraces to hundreds of feet of water. If you go inside the crater you can find the Garden Eels in 70 fsw of water and the Center Reef just beyond. The dive can also be done as a drift around to the backside of Molokini. We have found the most interesting critters from Grey Reef Sharks to Humpback Whales at this dive site.
emphasis, edit and parens added

Diving Maui

TS&M's Blog:
The instructor quickly figured out that we were okay, and took us down to see the garden eels, which are apparently unique to Molokini, and we found them at 120 feet, which is the deepest I have been and I was surprised to realize we were down that far.
emphasis added

I am only very familiar with Oahu, Maui and Key Largo dive sites, but I constantly see internet posts about sites I am very familiar with where exaggerated details are used to make points.

Really makes me wonder about some posters posts about dive sites I do not know; are the percentages of exaggeration to make a point the same for those sites I do not know well?

Even if it is an innocent mistake, and even if your blog is correct so the innocent mistake is only 10 feet, I will point out the exaggerations when I see them.

Which dive operator did you make that Molokini trip with?

I find it hard to believe a respected operator would have a guide that told divers garden eels are unique to Molokini; they are endemic to Hawaii. I believe they are found off all the Islands; I have seen them off four.

Dive 37 : Reefs End, Molokini, Hawaii

The above link came from a yahoo search for "Molokini garden eels" and the dive computer profile actually shows the time laying on the bottom trying to sneak up on the eels for a pic, at ~80' deep. :idk:

The OP is talking about a course in the Health Sciences College at a University! Imagine how the students would view the instructor if your question was on the Final Exam and one of the students "remembered" the details of their own Reef's End dive. :shocked2:

DiveD asked
I did a private a couple of months ago and the first night's lecture was pretty much just about KR 1, Question 5. By the time we finished, they all had a very good understanding of how that effects just about everything, buoyancy control, gas management, even DCI (both AGE and DCS).

I always give out my "Air Supply Cheat Sheet" to my OW students. Cheat Sheet

How true. I have started spending much more time focusing on the Q5 and the chart. With a little bit of creativity and spending some time with the chart I have found that the students quickly get a grasp of the relationships. Really gratifying when they get an even basic understanding of gas management coming out of Module 1. I discovered that it really is not hard to do.

Here are the canned answers::D

1. 130 feet max depth for recreational divers. 60ft for new divers. 100 for AOW divers.

2. Use tables to determine No Decompression Limits. Don't push the limits. Check SPG frequently. If diving with computer, read owner's manual and don't go beyond Dive Time Remaining. Don't push computer's limits.

3. 3000psi. Everyone uses an AL80.

These rudementary questions speak volumes though, don't they?:wink:

Note that I said "should" ... not "can". My next question to all of your answers would be "why"? If I were to put these questions on a scuba test, none of your answers would be acceptable, because they don't really tell me anything meaningful.

Indeed. I think Bob's point in raising those "rudimentary" questions is that those canned answers fall apart incredibly quickly when you actually start considering the gas planning in detail. How deep should I go, how long should I stay, and how much gas should I bring, are all interrelated functions, and are affected by a number of other individualized factors - breathing rate, dive plan, desire to keep a buddy amongst the living in an out-of-gas scenario, etc. :)

Exactly ... divers often get into trouble because they base their planning decisions on something they read in a book, without really understanding what it was telling them.

I don't test my students on their ability to remember something they read ... I test them on their ability to comprehend why it applies to their dive. Asking in a rudimentary fashion causes them to think about the significance of the question before considering the answer ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

halemano, do you HAVE to pick apart the details of a post that was written simply to suggest a TYPE of question that the OP could use? He can use any site, depth and attraction he wants. The idea was simply to offer a dive that might not be a good idea, and have the students think about why it might not be.

I quite possibly misunderstood the guide about the "uniqueness". I do remember that he seemed to be making a big fuss about our getting to see them, and that they were unusual, and I came away with the impression that they were unique to Molokini. He may even have told me that. Does it really matter? My journal is my journal, and records what I did, thought or remembered. Please just give it a rest, will you, and let the thread stay on topic?

DiveD asked
I did a private a couple of months ago and the first night's lecture was pretty much just about KR 1, Question 5. By the time we finished, they all had a very good understanding of how that effects just about everything, buoyancy control, gas management, even DCI (both AGE and DCS).

I always give out my "Air Supply Cheat Sheet" to my OW students. Cheat Sheet

Peter,

Love the cheat sheet! What is KR1, question 5 and where do I find it?

Sorry to hijack the thread.

As I complete my rescue class, I am more focused on the buddy aspect of diving. What is my buddies experience at this depth, how far will he wander from me, how does his equipment work, hand signals and gas management issues. While this information is not emphasized in AOW, the importance can be critical. Not managing his gas leaves me diving solo. How do you signal half tank or tank pressure and at what pressures do we need to communicate? Communication is the key to good buddy practice.

On tourist dives, I see insta-buddies jump in with no predive check or discussion.

Montana Diver -- Thank you for the compliment and I wish I could take total credit for the Cheat Sheet. But, in reality, this was a SB collaborative effort -- I posted a first draft and several people made good comments which were incorporated into the final product. "It Takes A Village"!

Knowledge Review Question 5:
KR1-Q5.gif

My journal is my journal, and records what I did, thought or remembered.

I loved reading your journal. I don't remember my OW dives quite as clearly as this, but I do remember what it was to be new... and to have that "WHAT? I guess by 'dry' they mean 'not so much' feeling" :)

Note that I said "should" ... not "can". My next question to all of your answers would be "why"? If I were to put these questions on a scuba test, none of your answers would be acceptable, because they don't really tell me anything meaningful.
... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Bob, my canned answers were tongue in cheek. They are the answers that someone, reading the OW manual or taking the OW course online, would arrive at. They are not the answers that I would be looking for in this advanced class.

I actually really appreciate your proposed questions because they are key and the answers can be directly contrasted with the "canned" answers.

I've taken note of and commented on, but haven't actually answered any of the suggested questions in this thread.

halemanō;5670926:
The OP is talking about a course in the Health Sciences College at a University! Imagine how the students would view the instructor if your question was on the Final Exam and one of the students "remembered" the details of their own Reef's End dive. :shocked2:

Come on man! First of all, I will not use any of these questions verbatim. I will most likely pull info out of my own dive logs. The last time I dove Molokini Crater was 1995. I can't specifically remember any of that dive, and as an inexperienced diver, my log would reflect whatever info I heard or thought that I heard back then.

So, I won't be using a Molokini dive as one of my test questions!:D

Back
Top Bottom