Your ultimate trivia questions (and answers)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

shakeybrainsurgeon

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Post your ultimate trivia questions, or answers to trivia posed by others, or both...

Any category is fair game... my favorite trivia questions were lifted from a 'trivia olympics" held a number of yeats ago:

1) In the movie The Day the Earth Stood Still, what phrase did Patricia Neal have to say to Gort after Michael Rennie is shot? Bonus: why did she have to say it?

2) What were the professor and skipper's names on Gilligan island (not the actors names --- Russell Johnson and Alan Hale Jr), but the character names)? They were only used once...

3) How many times did an African-American appear on Leave It to Beaver, and in what roles?

4) What was Harry Trumans middle name?

5) What historical figure is thought to have drawn the first picture of the Virgin Mary?

6) In what city was HAL 9000 built and in what year? Bonus: what does HAL stand for?

7) After the Star Trek pilot, what actor refused the role of Kirk and went on to star in a TV series of his own several years later (a much more successful series in fact)?

8) Heroin was legal in this country at one time. Who marketed it and for what?

9) Who, after seeing ether used for the first time, coined the term "anesthesia"?

10) The money for the founding of the famous Sloan-Kettering cancer institute came from a rather useful (non-medical) invention. What was it?

Harry Truman's middle name was S.
(visited his house in MO and loved the red white and blue and apple green kitchen)

Anesthesia was with Oliver Wendall Holmes?
(Have no idea why i think this)

Sloan Kettering had something to do I believe with the atom bomb
(Unfortunately have a family member being treated there now)

The rest I have to look up and I will definately look up the HAL one, I know I know that one! And I think the Skippers name was Gumby but anyway, how did I do?

Some questions in return

1. What was the secret code name for the d-day invasion? extra points: what was the codename for the landing beach at Normandy?

2. What do you call the little plastic tips on your shoelaces?

3. Was Mary Poppins left handed or right handed?

4. What about Bert the Chimney Sweep?

2) What were the professor and skipper's names on Gilligan island (not the actors names --- Russell Johnson and Alan Hale Jr), but the character names)? They were only used once...

Professor = Roy Hinkley
Skipper = Jonas Grumby

6) Bonus: what does HAL stand for?

HAL are the three letters immediately before IBM

ScubaTexan:
Professor = Roy Hinkley
Skipper = Jonas Grumby

HAL are the three letters immediately before IBM

The HAL answer is true, but Kubrick, according to my ancient movie guide that came out with 2001, also made up the phrase Heuristic Algorithmic Logistics --- it sounds impressive but means nothing.

Surelyshirly:
Harry Truman's middle name was S.
(visited his house in MO and loved the red white and blue and apple green kitchen)

Anesthesia was with Oliver Wendall Holmes?
(Have no idea why i think this)

Sloan Kettering had something to do I believe with the atom bomb
(Unfortunately have a family member being treated there now)

The rest I have to look up and I will definately look up the HAL one, I know I know that one! And I think the Skippers name was Gumby but anyway, how did I do?

Yes, Truman's middle name was S. Apparently, they couldn't decide which of his grandfathers to name him after, so they simply used the initial S for both. That's why there should be no period after the S.

Oliver Wendell Holmes is correct --- he was present at the demonstration of ether and wrote an article the next day with the phrase anethesia (Greek for "without feeling").

The Sloan-Kettering answer is wrong --- hint: most people use it every day and, if memroy serves correct, it was Kettering who invented it

shakeybrainsurgeon:
Post your ultimate trivia questions, or answers to trivia posed by others, or both...

Any category is fair game... my favorite trivia questions were lifted from a 'trivia olympics" held a number of yeats ago:

1) In the movie The Day the Earth Stood Still, what phrase did Patricia Neal have to say to Gort after Michael Rennie is shot? Bonus: why did she have to say it?

3) How many times did an African-American appear on Leave It to Beaver, and in what roles?

4) What was Harry Trumans middle name?

5) What historical figure is thought to have drawn the first picture of the Virgin Mary?

6) In what city was HAL 9000 built and in what year? Bonus: what does HAL stand for?

7) After the Star Trek pilot, what actor refused the role of Kirk and went on to star in a TV series of his own several years later (a much more successful series in fact)?

8) Heroin was legal in this country at one time. Who marketed it and for what?

9) Who, after seeing ether used for the first time, coined the term "anesthesia"?

10) The money for the founding of the famous Sloan-Kettering cancer institute came from a rather useful (non-medical) invention. What was it?

Jeffrey Hunter. But who became a star? Shatner.

shakeybrainsurgeon:

(Spelling???) "Klatu Barata Nicto"

Why: To stop the huge robot (Gort??) from running amok and destroying Earth. It was to be said if anything happened to the main character. (Played by Michael Rennie?)

Surelyshirly:
Some questions in return

1. What was the secret code name for the d-day invasion? extra points: what was the codename for the landing beach at Normandy?

"Operation Overlord";
The beaches had various names, among them, IIRC: Omaha, Juno, Gold, Sword

shakeybrainsurgeon:

That's a trick question. At the time of Leave it to Beaver, the term had yet to be coined.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom