Resuscitation question...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Won't chest compressions alone cause some air to be expelled from the lungs? Wouldn't this cause some air exchange? Granted, not as much as efficient rescue breaths, but …

As Don said no, I think it would be mostly dead space. Another important concept to remember is the teachings that say you don't need to give breaths are relying on the fact that you've activated EMS and they will be there shortly to take over and will place an advanced airway.

Compressions only also does not apply to drownings as I understand it. This thread started with discussion of a non-water incident, but for us divers - remember that for a diving or swimming accident, rescue breaths are needed. DAN offers a Key CPR mask for $6.90 https://www.diversalertnetwork.org/store/home.aspx?catNo=13 I carry the Resucitation Mask in my dive bag and the smaller in my pocket around beach areas, but the small one would be a good addition to any boat bag.

Oh no.... now you've done it. I mentioned this in another thread once, and it started what amounts to a religous war. I think this may be a phenomenon similar to Godwins Law.

IIRC, a compelling study was presented in the 2008 meeting of Am College Emerg Physicians (ACEP); Dr. Marc Eckstein, I believe. From a year 2000 baseline, the 7yr success rate was just short of being doubled; to about 29-30% from 17% (?)IIRC. Dramatic improvement. Besides uninterrupted compressions, there were other factors such as quick deployment of AEDs and more "stay and play" in running adv'd life support (ALS) protocols by on-scene EMS rather than the more typical "scoop and scoot".

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom