Your wise suggestions is needed!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pallse

Registered
Reaction score
Good morning, everyone,

I am in the process of upgrading my equipment but I am lost in reading million of options.. I would appreciate your suggestions basis of the following:

Presently I own a Canon 600D with 10-22mm, prime 50mm, 55-250mm and kit 18-55mm. I have these for land photography only, no housing. For underwater use I have a Canon S100 with housing and uwl-04 lense and one inon D2000 strobe.

I was about to move on the RX100ii and built a new set up but then I said, calm down and think wisely your needs...

My needs/diving conditions are:

- Shooting between 0 to -15 meters max
- Shooting wide angle/fisheye always - never macro
- Shooting mainly moving subjects (freedivers, fishes, boat keels, etc)
- Shooting in swimming pool.
- Shooting over/under shots
- The set up must be as light as possible (low back problems here)
- Sensor must allows enlarged prints (100cm or 200)
- Must have a fast focusing speed.
- If it can take better images than my 600D on land would be great so to sold everything and keep one camera for land and sea.
- Budget is around 3,500 euros

My guess is that I am in the mirrorless side considering the above needs but I am completely lost in there.

Any suggestion for complete package (camera, housing and dome) would be appreciated.

Dimitris

---------- Post added June 3rd, 2014 at 02:46 PM ----------

I am now between the Olympus OMD-EM1 and the Panasonic GX7. If you can express your opinion on this or suggest something relevant?

Good morning, everyone,

I am in the process of upgrading my equipment but I am lost in reading million of options.. I would appreciate your suggestions basis of the following:

Presently I own a Canon 600D with 10-22mm, prime 50mm, 55-250mm and kit 18-55mm. I have these for land photography only, no housing. For underwater use I have a Canon S100 with housing and uwl-04 lense and one inon D2000 strobe.

I was about to move on the RX100ii and built a new set up but then I said, calm down and think wisely your needs...

- If it can take better images than my 600D on land would be great so to sold everything and keep one camera for land and sea.

My guess is that I am in the mirrorless side considering the above needs but I am completely lost in there.

Any suggestion for complete package (camera, housing and dome) would be appreciated.

Dimitris

I am now between the Olympus OMD-EM1 and the Panasonic GX7. If you can express your opinion on this or suggest something relevant?

I bought the GX7 about a month ago and really like it (previously had an Olympus EPL-5 in an Olympus housing). I just got the Nauticam housing this week and it is a very well designed housing. More expensive than Olympus housings, but I think it's worth it. Overall I think you would be very pleased if you went this route.

I still havent decided yet. I am between GX7, M5 and M1. The best image quality with the fastest focus speed and the lightest rig setup with nauticam housing and dome for the 8mm fisheye wins for me. I am still looking for the winner.

Good morning, everyone,

Dimitris

You will have some difficulties taking split shots with a small 4.33" dome typical of a micro four third set up. As a matter of fact an 8 or 9 inches domes is ideal for that purpose although the weight of the rig will go up considerable or you may not even have the option on a 4/3
However it can be done if you have very steady surface conditions.

I guess the 4.33'' is similar to the uwl-04 in difficulty to take split shot? I managed to get some good shots with this and my S100 IMG_0906_filtered.jpgdespite the small size.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom