youth diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jrdivagrl

Reaction score
I want to start a youth club for diving. i am 13 (nearly 14) and i love scuba more then anything. I have been diving for a year and i only know 1 or 2 youth divers, who arent really that interested in diving. I live in CT and my local dive center is the westchester dive center. If anyone has any comments on starting a club or finding people i can talk to about diving who are around my age and share the same compassion for diving please post here!!

Just a thought, but maybe you could get your school to sponser a club. There are actually some colleges and universities that give credit for completion of your scuba training. I would talk to the athletic director of your school. Another avenue might be to talk to your LDS. Congratulations on getting into scuba. Believe me, it will bring you years and years of pleasure.

SWT

I did my first dive in Cozumel when I was 14. It is an awesome experience. Congratulations!

Have you considered getting involved with local marine biology centers? Perhaps your parents could help you locate some. I know on the Carolina coasts there are turtle rescue centers. Perhaps you have a similar operation in your area. Even if they are not your age, you can have a valuable and safe diving experience.

If I am correct, you should also be diving with your parents until you are 16.

I just had another thought on this. There may alreadybe many very established dive clubs in your area. Why don't you contact the dive club presidents and see if they would be reseptive to having a "Jr." version of their club. I'm sure that there would be many adults that would supervise your membership. If you could talk your parents into joining.....most clubs give a family membership.

Keep us posted,
SWT

I just certified 4 new jr divers this past month, 3 brothers ages 10,11 and 13 and a girl 12....They all live in RI whichisn't too far. I can pass the info to them and see if they want to join SB and chat with you...but remember as a JR diver you need to dive with an adult.

Hey thanks a lot for all the responses! I always dive with a reputable dive instructor at a dive store. RIDIVER, that would be awesome! I am trying to continue my diving and become better at it. I am now enrolled in an advanced ow course to be taken in early october at Dutch Springs. I will also see if there are any local dive clubs and if they would accept me into their special group. I also love animals so I will do some reasearch on marine bio and rescue groups (i already volunteer at the local animal hospital) I was hoping i was old enough to volunteer at the maritime aquarium but they wont take volunteers unless they are 15 or 16, even though i know the equivalent or more about the animals there then some of the volunteers. In about a week or so i will be going to seattle WA and I wondered if any of you knew a reputable dive store that would be willing to take me on a couple of dives in the Pugent Sound?!? Thanks a lot!

O! I forgot! I would also be interested in what you guys have to say that might help me at Dutch Springs and taking the advanced ow course! Again thank you!

don't forget that at your age your parents must accompany you and dive with you on your dives.

The age limit was probably due to worker regulations, not knowledge. By the time you are old enough to work there, we hope you know even more than now! I am sure you are quite knowledgeable.

Another really good group to look into is the Oceans for Youth program....

http://www.oceansforyouth.com/ This group was founded by Mr Wayne Hassen, owner of the Aggressor fleet & the editor of Dive Training magazine, Mr Mark Young. "Our mission is to provide leadership in promoting awareness, understanding and appreciation of the marine environment by youth through the development, promotion and distribution of educational materials, information, programs and other media directly to youth, educational institutions, teachers, parents and others"

I know that several years ago, Mr Hassen, took a group of about 10 youth to explore the waters in the Galopagus. I had the very great priviledge of veiwing his video of that trip.

Take a look at their site and let me know what you think!!!!

Sounds like you have a very good plan!!!
SWT

In Iowa the Scouts? have a club called the venture crew that they do scuba diving through. You might want to check to see if thats available in your area.
Good Luck, and happy diving.
Bob

Back
Top Bottom