YS-01 Aperture Priority Problem

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scuba_Noob

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi,

I have a Canon S95 Powershot with an Ikelite housing. I also have YS-01 strobes. They work perfectly fine in Manual with the typical settings (set to the regular flash "knob").

However, when the strobes are on the regular flash setting, and I set the camera to Aperture Priority (Av), the strobes don't seems to work. They appear to flash, but nothing shows up on screen. Only when I set the flash setting to TTL does the Av seem to work (and I don't necessarily want to use TTL).

Is this normal? Does Av require TTL? Why can't I use the regular flash setting for the strobes on Av?

I believe that Canon in its infinite wisdom and devotion to wedding photogs and those taking pictures of people has set up AV mode to allow fill flash only (which is TTL). I don't know if you can override this with a custom flash setting but in auto mode I think you can only get TTL flash
Bill

Guess I will try CHDK. I just like to play around with ISOs and other settings a lot, and I thought I could just switch between significantly different presets easily by just changing it to Aperture Priority (without having to switch each individual strobes). Too bad.

Will CHDK allow me to make presets and easily switch between them? Or is there another way?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom