Ys 01's in TTL

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Possibly. You would think that they would fire simultaneously though......

i suggested that might be the cause, thus you can try by covering the whole non-light tube area of the strobe, with a cardboard or whatever so that area does not see the flash of the other strobe.

Also, what type of cables are you using? Both coming from the camera's internal flash or are you daisy chaining from camera to strobe 1 then to strobe 2?

Are the fiber optic cables plugged 100% all the way in? I know it takes extra effort to push it until it is completely in.

I had no issue with the strobe pointing it directly at the camera, but that is the light coming from the original light source, your situation is light coming in from the secondary light source, with a delay that the sensors in the strobe might construe as a second pre-flash.

good info here

I am quite sure that it is due to how s&S implement ttl on those strobes. To verify this, put both strobes in manual mode and I am quite sure they will fire. Secondly put one strobe in ttl and the other in manual and then reverse. Try it with only one strobe cabled. My guess is that there is enough light leak through the front of the strobe to fool the TTL system.
Don't know of a real quick fix though, need to try this later today.
Bill

Anyone know why my YS 01's wont fire in ttl if they are pointed inward and toward each other?
Ron: I tried very hard to reproduce this. I set my Canon 7D (Nauticam) up with two strobes (YS01 and YS110a) pointing at each other. TTL set up on both strobes. Both work fine if I have the autofocus assist off. If I turn the autofocus assist on (that shoots a small flash) then the 01 sometimes doesn't fire since it takes too long to recycle.

Which camera and housing?
Bill

Ron: I tried very hard to reproduce this. I set my Canon 7D (Nauticam) up with two strobes (YS01 and YS110a) pointing at each other. TTL set up on both strobes. Both work fine if I have the autofocus assist off. If I turn the autofocus assist on (that shoots a small flash) then the 01 sometimes doesn't fire since it takes too long to recycle.

Which camera and housing?

Bill

I have the E-Pl2 and the Oly housing, Bill.

I have been able to reproduce the problem (at least sort of). My setup is with my Canon 7D in a Nauticam housing shooting one YS01 and 1 Inon S2000. If I have the YS01 set to TTL then both strobes fire but not in sync with the camera. Either strobe by itself gives me good exposure. If i leave the Inon in TTL mode and set the YS01 in manual (without pre-flash) then everything is fine.
Very strange, I think that the TTL signal from the Inon fires the YS01 that then fires the Inon. Very strange but there is a work around.
Bill

I'm kind of surprised this doesn't happen more often with dual strobe setups & positions. I know mine (YS-90's, wired) is not 100% consistent in TTL, but I found a manual recipe that worked and stuck with it, so no claims yet. I would think the pre-flashes/flash could interfere with each other under the right conditions.
Another point on light leakage; photons are sneaky little devils. Even with sound connections, etc. there are leaks at some levels and directions. Also, the jackets on the FO cables are not really "light-tight", and are subject to leakage. I don't know the sensitivity of the systems used in the measurement in strobes, but the high intensity of the opposite strobe(s) could make for issues.

Here's a related question:

In order to save $120 I am contemplating adding a YS-02 to my Canon S90/YS-01 setup. I have a hacked SD card (CHDK) which allows me to shoot full manual (sort of) with TTL - IMO a real failure of Canon's firmware. Haven't tried it U/W yet. Anyway - if I am shooting TTL on the YS-01, with a "slave" YS-02 set to ignore a preflash, wouldn't the YS-02 fire in synchrony with the main strobe? Sure, the intensity of the YS-02 would not be controlled by the TTL of the YS-01, but you could set it manually at a low-ish setting for some fill-in light. Or is this just asking for frustration?

- Dave

I believe I know which hack you refer to...
The DS-TTL mechanism controls the duration of the flash. So when the image is correctly exposed it will shut off the primary however the slave flash would not be controlled by this logic so you would potentially hinder the whole logic as you are adding a light source that is not directly controlled and comes after the metering
So I think your YS-02 would only work properly in manual

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom