Ys 01's in TTL

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have just hit the same problem on my last trip to Bali. I use a E-520 with an Inon Z240 and SnS 110a in TTL mostly. I am just experimenting with flash in to camera and found several of my shots were underexposed or one side did not fire. It seems that as I use OC connections and both flashes are set to slave that one is cancelling out the other as Bill suggested in his post.

It would be good to clearly understand what is going on as edge flash with flashes inward offers me some great opportunities.

The simplest answer is to make sure you are shooting in manual not in TTL. Then the problem (at least for me) goes away with YS and Inon strobes.
Bill

I found a diagram on p E-16 of the YS-02 Manual that shows the YS-02 firing as a slave from a TTL Main strobe, so I may give it a try.

http://www.seaandsea.jp/products/strobe/ys02/manual_G1AQ.pdf

I fear though that I may encounter the same interference/cancellation as Cardog when both strobes are turned inward. Then it'll be ditch the CHDK and back to manual flash settings (x2). Reports to follow.

- Dave

That diagram says how to set the strobes so that they can handle pre flash or not an then fire however doesn't really make promises around the ability of the strobe to really perform as slave ttl

I have contacted Sea and Sea and this is the response

the YS-02 is a manual only strobe and does not do TTL, hence the cheaper price. You could still trigger the YS-01 in TTL mode and use a YS-02 as a secondary fill-in flash. You would set this on a low power setting so the YS-01 would still be the primary light source.

So you will need to set the YS-02 on manual and then in theory the camera TTL will react so that it is not overexposed

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom