YS-110 & Heinrichs/Weikamp ttl

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

i am still up in the air about which unit i will use to connect to the bulkhead....it will all come down to the all mighty $$$$.....i know i know, pay now or pay later.......

GONEHAWKN:
i am still up in the air about which unit i will use to connect to the bulkhead....it will all come down to the all mighty $$$$.....i know i know, pay now or pay later.......

You might want to consider for not much more, you are getting a MUCH better bulkhead. I am not sure why, but Ryan's photo on Reefphoto.com is not really what it looks like (maybe an older version?). The bulkhead I got from Ryan and Cathy Church both are metal and very nicely built. This replaces the cheapo one on the PT-030. Another thing to consider, if you are on a dive trip and your sync cord fails with the Divervision style solution, you are pretty much out of luck. With the better HW bulkhead solution, you can use standard sync cables.

Just my 0.02 :wink:

hey Rich, again, thanks for the words of wisdom. i am heavily leaning towards the H/W set-up at this point. did you do the install yourself?

Bill

GONEHAWKN:
hey Rich, again, thanks for the words of wisdom. i am heavily leaning towards the H/W set-up at this point. did you do the install yourself?

Bill

Actually, I had Ryan and Cathy Church both install their respective bulkheads that I purchased. It was a good idea too since both of them had issues and didn't work the first time There is apparently a high out of the box failure rate, yet work great and are very reliable once you get one that works.

AGAIN, priceless words of wisdom......i may go this route, but it may very well decide on which strobe my wallet is able to handle. the 2 that i am torn between are the YS-110 and the Inon D2000. anyone have thoughts on why i should i go with one and not the other? i was/am leaning towards the YS-110 for future use with a DSLR(if i go that route). again, suggestions are appreciated.

Bill

I can't speak for the Inon D2000 since I don't have one and haven't tried one before. I do know that the Inon Z240 which is a higher end strobe than the D2000 did not work correctly with the SP-350 and the HW converter. It would not do TTL and the best I could get was a manual flash out of it. There is a thread on here about my issues if you care to read..

On the other side, the YS-110 worked perfectly! Once it was plugged in, it did TTL perfect and I didn't have any issues. If it was my money and nerves, I would of course go the route of the YS-110. It just works and does a VERY nice job with the SP-350..

THANKS RICH, that is the one i that i am going with!! you as well as a few other folks have suggested that the YS-110 would be the better choice of the two. NOW, time to start pulling this kit all together.

Bill

OK...well i just got off the phone with Ryan at Reef Photo and i am happy to say that i have some new gear coming my way soon. i placed an order for the YS-110 strobe with ULCS tray/arm, with the Nikonis TTL sync cable. plus, i got the H/W conversion for the PT-030 housing lined up as well. i am sending off my housing first thing in morning. Ryan informs that they will do the conversion and then test everyting for me as a unit. i cant wait to get this stuff!!! all that is left to do now is locate a decent case for it all to live in and add a macro and WAL with bayonet mount to my rig and i should be good to go. THANKS AGAIN Ryan!!!!!

Bill

I have the Heinrich converter on a D200 with Inon D2000 strobes. My only complaint is in low light situations or very dark subjects there is an issue with getting the right exposure. Make sure you have a good focus light.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom