YS-110a or YS01 for PT-EP01 housing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

zcello

Registered
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

This is my first post on Scubaboard. I am planning an upgrade to my UW equipment and E-PL1 in the factory housing looks attractive to me. I only have used and Canon P&S before without strobe, now I am considering getting one of either YS-110a or YS-01 for it.

Obviously the 110a provides stronger light. On paper both strobe provide similar angle and I believe one of either strobe should be all right for 14mm (of course two would be better, if I have the $$). The price difference is not too great while despite of that YS-01 still have the advantage of smaller size (one major reason why I select m4/3).

So now my question is, how much is the difference between the two when using the 14-42 kit lens (not really very wide angle)? And, is there any compatibility issue between either of these strobes and the PT-EP01 housing? Which kind of optical cable I should use?

Thanks a lot..

I think the YS-01 is very well suited for m 4/3rds systems. Small reasonably powerful, target light, 10 manual steps. The TTL works the same on it as the YS-110a. There is a pretty good price difference of $205. That makes a two strobe system for the 9-18 pretty doable. No compatibility issues that I know if.

You can use the S&S fiber optic L cable or similar.

Jack

Thanks for the reply Jack.

well, I found in oceanicfocus that the price difference is only $50, which makes YS-110a very attrative. But it's currently out of stock and may need to wait while the ys-01 they have it available.

I want the whole system to be as compact as possible, but if YS-110a is much better it may whole the extra weight and $$, especially when I only use one strobe. What do you reckon?

Well if you're going to buy offshore - ask them.

My answer is pretty clear; buy two YS-01s.

Jack

Well if you're going to buy offshore - ask them.

My answer is pretty clear; buy two YS-01s.

Jack

Thanks for your advice Jack.

I have to buy offshore because I am in Australia, not really have a choice :(

Does anyone have any more opinions on the ys-01 vs ys-110a? There are some good deals out there on the ys-110a in the usa that put a complete kit within 100$ of each other. Being that I don't have a strobe setup now for my s90, a simple kit is very attractive and I think I have it narrowed down to these two choices.

That being said, money is an issue, as always. Is the ys-110a worth a hundred bucks more?

Does anyone have any more opinions on the ys-01 vs ys-110a? There are some good deals out there on the ys-110a in the usa that put a complete kit within 100$ of each other. Being that I don't have a strobe setup now for my s90, a simple kit is very attractive and I think I have it narrowed down to these two choices.

That being said, money is an issue, as always. Is the ys-110a worth a hundred bucks more?

These are apples and oranges, different pluses and minuses for each. They will both work with the E-PL1. They both have a focus light. The YS-01 is very small, a plus if you travel. The YS-110a is much more powerful, and that's always good. I found a cool video of a dive with the YS-01, even some night dives, and a stargazer, wow. See:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fzk1WkUalC0

I'd get the YS-110a personally, you never have too much light. For me the only reason to pick the YS-01 is size when traveling. Your strobes will likely outlast the camera for several generations, so $100 is not such a major issue.

Last edited:
I don't see any consideration of Inon S-2000 strobes . . is compatibility a problem or just an aversion to the Inon product line? Also, what your opinion of the Sea & Sea strobe arms and related parts - adequate, fair or good?

Last edited:
The olympus UFL-2 will give strobe sync shutter speeds up to the e-pl1 max of 1/2000th. That has to make it the favourite unless you think you need more power.

Back
Top Bottom