ys-110a vs ys-110

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rafikfir

New
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Can anybody point out the differences between the 2 models. I will use it with the Sea&Sea DX-1G camera.

I would like to know whether the ys-110a has a significant advantage for me.
Thanks

From what I have been told, the YS110 has a better, more sensitive triggering system. I have two YS110's and in dark conditions (thankfully where I dive most of the time) they work well... but get them with some sun light, and they don't trigger very accurately. I have sort of learned to live with it, but would really like to trust the strobes more.

Glad to get that cleared. I also have a YS110 and the strobe doesn't fire reliably. After each shot I have to check if the strobe fired and eventually take a second shot. Not a problem with a static object but the fish will not wait for the second shot. I never made the link with the ambient sun light. I ordered an YS110a as second strobe just a few days ago (it hasn't been shipped yet), so I will be able to check in the near future if that strobe fires more reliably.

The 110a has an improved optical triggering circuit. It works much better than the 110 when optically triggered. The 110 is a little flaky when triggering optically, but not wired, that's fine.

According to Sea&Sea's marketing description [my additions in brackets], [the 110a] "Further improves the accuracy of the DS-TTL’s excellent performance. This is a new type of strobe building and improving on the basic functionality of the YS-110" [which sucked]. Isn't marketingspeak amazing??

The 110a has an improved optical triggering circuit. It works much better than the 110 when optically triggered. The 110 is a little flaky when triggering optically, but not wired, that's fine.

According to Sea&Sea's marketing description [my additions in brackets], [the 110a] "Further improves the accuracy of the DS-TTL’s excellent performance. This is a new type of strobe building and improving on the basic functionality of the YS-110" [which sucked]. Isn't marketingspeak amazing??

Yea, Rather than say "we messed up with the first model (sorry everyone that bought it), and have not corrected the problem..."

I don't have the money for 2 ys-110a therefore, I'm considering to either buy 2 used ys-110 or 2 new ys-01. From what I've read in your posts I assume that I'd better stay away from ys-110 and choose the ys-01. Am I correct?

Thanks

For the most part YS 110's are way over kill...would think the YS-01s would work really well.

Rafikfir

Check the website divervision dot com for the price of the YS-110a. They assure me that they sell new ones and not refurbished models. One warning though: although the item according to the website seems to be in stock, it isn't. So you have to wait till they restock.
I have no bad experience with this company from Taiwan, except for the fact that they are not honest about their stock. I ordered twice from them and their standard reply seems to be "The last one just sold out when we received your order".

Can anybody point out the differences between the 2 models.

I know this thread is stale but nobody has mentioned the most important difference. Not in this thread or any other that I found. This major difference is also responsible for most of the increased cost.

The YS-110a has electronic 5-pin Nikon-style TTL connector ports, the YS-01 does not.

Otherwise, the strobes are almost indistinguishable for picture taking purposes. It's true that the GN's are 20 and 22 (m/ISO100), That is a barely perceptible 10% increase. Underwater lighting being what it is, that 10% won't make a difference in your shots very often. There is no difference on tight shots, and as you back away to 2m the difference is barely 1/2 stop.

Don't let anyone kid you, electronic TTL is a superior solution. No question about it. It's not debatable. You will have to have a housed SLR to use that feature though.

If you have no intention of using a housed SLR, then you're paying a lot of money for a feature you don't need. Because of the electronic TTL port the 110a should have better resale value and larger market.

110a is way bigger and heavier, though. 700 vs 500. The YS -110a is 40% heavier than the ys-01.

I know this thread is stale but nobody has mentioned the most important difference. Not in this thread or any other that I found. This major difference is also responsible for most of the increased cost.

The YS-110a has electronic 5-pin Nikon-style TTL connector ports, the YS-01 does not.

Otherwise, the strobes are almost indistinguishable for picture taking purposes. It's true that the GN's are 20 and 22 (m/ISO100), That is a barely perceptible 10% increase. Underwater lighting being what it is, that 10% won't make a difference in your shots very often. There is no difference on tight shots, and as you back away to 2m the difference is barely 1/2 stop.

Don't let anyone kid you, electronic TTL is a superior solution. No question about it. It's not debatable. You will have to have a housed SLR to use that feature though.

If you have no intention of using a housed SLR, then you're paying a lot of money for a feature you don't need. Because of the electronic TTL port the 110a should have better resale value and larger market.

110a is way bigger and heavier, though. 700 vs 500. The YS -110a is 40% heavier than the ys-01.

Why a DSLR? Why not a p&s with a hot shoe?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom