ys-110a vs ys-110

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Why a DSLR? Why not a p&s with a hot shoe?

short answer: because that doesn't make much sense.

1. point and shoot cameras with (TTL) hotshoes are relatively rare.
  2. Not many housing makers bother with ttl circutry for P&S housing because the cost increase is inconsistent with P&S budgets.
  3. The one maker that comes to mind, only works with their own propietary strobes.
  4. Putting $1500 strobes on a $300 camera in a $600 housing is not a very popular choice.

And yet we do it...but you are correct it doe not make much sense..

2. Not many housing makers bother with ttl circutry for P&S housing because the cost increase is inconsistent with P&S budgets.
  3. The one maker that comes to mind, only works with their own propietary strobes.
  4. Putting $1500 strobes on a $300 camera in a $600 housing is not a very popular choice.

All that I was referring to was your comment that you have to buy a DSLR to have a hot shoe. Canon G12, Panny LX5, Oly XZ-1 are just a few off the top of my head that come to mind in a p&s.

All that I was referring to was your comment that you have to buy a DSLR to have a hot shoe. Canon G12, Panny LX5, Oly XZ-1 are just a few off the top of my head that come to mind in a p&s.

If you are brave, you can mount a bulkhead connector with TTL converter on any Olympus housing. Heinrichs Weikamp has been making them for years and they work well. (They have converters for Nikon or Canon, but they seem too big to fit most housings.) If your Olympus housing has no hole for one, you can bore one. Easy for me to say, it's your housing.

Alternatively, there is the Digital Adapter from HW. These work on any brand of camera housing that has a clear window to the flash. This attaches to your housing in front of the strobe and converts the camera flash to an electrical signal on a Nikonos connector, to which you can attach an appropriate cord. For this to work you have to have a strobe that has a Wired connector and you have to verify that your strobe can handle the rapid pre-flash signals from your camera, so the camera will see the effect of the external strobe and adjust flash exposure accurately. You can check to see if your strobe is fast enough for your camera in the Strobe Compatibility List at the Heinrichs Weikamp site. Refer to:
http://www.heinrichsweikamp.net/#/en/bulkheads/compatibility_list_strobes/

If you want to see the flash timing of your camera and what strobes it can control reliably, look in the Camera Compatibility List. Be sure your exact model of camera is listed, some have not yet been tested and who knows what tricks the camera makers are up to? For instance, the Panasonic LX3 is listed, but the LX5 is not, and by some reports may not work with the converter -- jury is still out on that one. I assume it has not been tested and will work, but I could be wrong (never assume in engineering, measure it instead).
HW

I have used these TTL Converters on a lot of Olympus cameras and they work quite well. See ScubaBoard Gallery - Olympus 7070 with PT-027, YS90, HW conv, LocLine

The Digital Adapters are a good solution for any camera that does not have a hot shoe, if you have a wired strobe you want to use.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom