YS-110a & XZ-1/PT-050 Compatibility

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bmorescuba

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I'm trying to follow a restrained upgrade path for my UW photography. I've been shooting with a very basic canon powershot sd1100, canon housing, and no strobe for a few years now and I'm going to move to the next level. I've obtained a Sea & Sea YS-110a strobe, which has used about half my budget. The Olympus XZ-1 and PT-050 seem like a good choice in terms of value, and they have the features I want for now. However, my extended online research has yielded confusing results about whether the YS-110a (or any S&S strobes) are fully compatible with the XZ-1/PT-050. This article, for instance, 2011 Compact Camera Buyers Guide, says: "We were not able to get any Sea & Sea strobe to function properly in DS-TTL mode with XZ-1". Yet, several other vendors sell this strobe in a package with the XZ-1/PT-050. Searching Scubaboard, I also seem to get conflicting results. So, are all the people using the XZ-1 and S&S shooting in manual or am I missing something? Being completely new to strobes, I think being able to use TTL would be a good idea - the odds of me getting some usable results in my limited diving time would be much higher.

Thanks

I do not know a lot about this issue but if you go to this page and look at footnote 7 there is supposed to be a firmware update for the flash that gives some TTL funtionality. I would be inclined to call one of the stores that specialize in underwater photography like Backscatter or Reefphoto and get some accurate information.

There may be a firmware upgrade, but no program has been announced.

Still a fine strobe and the camera work much faster in manual anyway. Our bundles have the YS-02 manual strobe for this reason.

Jack

I can affirm and confirm that XZ-1 working fine in TTL ("fill-in" mode on camera) with heinrichsweikamp digital adapter and Sea&Sea strobe YS-90 Auto (I suppose with all YS series, old and new).
I tested my equipment on dry with 1 and 2 strobe having a good exposure.
I'm waiting to check it undersea
03.gif

Marco.

Back
Top Bottom