YS-250 problems

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nwcid

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I recently got a whole new camera set up and ran into a problem. Used Aquatica D90 housing, used sync cables (one each side), new UCLS arms, used YS-250 strobes, D90 I bought new years ago.

I got it all set up and bathtub "tested" it twice with no problems. I then added the camera and strobe batteries and did probably a total of 100+ test shots on land. Everything worked as it should.

Did a dive Saturday night and unit worked as it should. I took the camera out so I could download the pics and I changed batteries. Sunday morning went out and did another dive everything worked as it should. Between dives I pulled the camera, downloaded the pics and changed batteries again, then did a test shot to make sure everything works. With all that done we headed in for another dive.

Here is where things go wrong. My strobes will not fire. My focus lights will not come on. The red "charge lights come on and stay on. The one strobe test fired one time and would not again. Finished out the dive with higher ISO and using our dive lights.

Back at the hotel I tried to do some testing. With everything hooked up nothing worked. Strobes would not fire, would not test strobe, no focus lights. If I unhooked the sync cable from the strobe it would test strobe and focus light would work. So I tried disconnecting the syne cable from the bulkhead and that made no difference. I tried switching sides with the sync cable, again made no difference. I did not have a lot of time to mess with it so I had to quit there. So just made sure all the connections were tight and we went diving.

So last night I get home where I have time to deal with the unit and throughly test it. Well I set it out on the table, turn everything on, and everything works just fine. Did a couple dozen test shots. Wiggled cables, plugged and unplugged all the connectors.

I am happy it works but at the same time worried because I am sure it will do it again. I have a big trip coming up and would like to sort it out before we go. Any ideas what it might be? Possibly moisture somewhere? Any help would be great.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom